Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex recommendations for in-floor gypcrete

Andrew Hagen_2
Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
I would use something flexible and inexpensive for installation in concrete of any kind. My personal choice would be LK pex. You definitely want barrier pex, but the barrier is not as critical as it is in a dry system where the pex is exposed to air so a standard EVOH barrier is fine.

Comments

• Gasper
    Gasper Member Posts: 148
    Best and easiest to work with Pex for infloor heat

Wondering what is the best and easiest Pex to install for infloor heat. Is the product with the aluminum worth the extra $? I'm concerned about where I pop thru the floor on the second floor. Tight turns, etc. Thanks
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    boiler type?

Iron or steel? Use the aluminum oxygen barrier PEX!
  • Gasper
    Gasper Member Posts: 148
    High end mod/con boiler

Haven't decided what boiler yet. But looking to do it top notch. Gypcrete in a 2 story addition. Zoning to the max. I want a real showpiece. Concerned about some pex going where it wants to go and not where I want it to go (in the mech. room, through crawl, etc). Thanks
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    I would

use Uponor's Hepex or Viega barrier pex. Pex-Al is awesome stuff but overkill for low temp slab work IMO.

A tight turn is tight w/ either product. Use bend supports for your tight bends coming out of the substrate or any other hairy bends.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Pex quality

I certainly did not mean to say cheap is the way to go. I just don't see any need for pex-al-pex or expensive brand name EVOH barrier pex in a low temp concrete application. LK's specifications fit the bill and it is very flexible as well as a good price, but any pex will work fine. With some tubing, you pay a lot for the brand name. The key with pex is to use tube hangers and isolators in any location where it might rub against wood or foam insulation. I prefer pex-a or pex-c. LK is pex-a.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Use the bend supports either metal or plastic that all the name suppliers have in there catalogs. That way you can get the tightest turns without kinking the pipe. You will get much more flexibility and tighter turns from the smaller diameter pipe (like 5/16 or 3/8 rather than 1/2) but then you must shorten the loops and use larger manifolds for the increased number of loops or get more powerful pumps. So many variables, so little time.
This discussion has been closed.