Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2-pipe steam, no traps!

Campo
Campo Member Posts: 17
I am working on an old vapor vacuum system in an attempt to make all of the radiators hot and reduce gas bills. The pressure was set way too high and I have replaced the pressurtrol with a vaporstat. I have replace the clogged main air vent with two Gorton #2 vents. All the return lines are dry returns and there is not other special equipment in the basement such as an alternating receiver, boiler return pump, diffarential loop, etc.

The radiators have metering-type valves made by Vapo that bring steam into the top of one side. The valves have a scale on them and a screw to allow the valve maximum to be set. These screws have all been moved so the valves are now wide open. The return is just an elbow at the base. I have opened a few of them to see if there is anything special in there such as condensate reservoirs, check valves, etc. But, it is just and elbow!

My question is, now that the pressure and venting issues have been solved, how am I going to preent steam form getting into the returns. The metering valves have all been de-calibrated over time, and I have no idea how to adjust them to let only the correct amount of steam into the radiators. Will it matter? Should I install traps on each radiator. Do they still make orifice plates?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.