Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas pipe

Ren Pavich
Ren Pavich Member Posts: 14
I am adding a detached garage to my home and want to run natural gas line to install furnace. Does anyone know how deep it should be run? I'm planning on running the stainless steel line with yellow jacketing. I haven't installed any piping underground before and looking for some resources to make sure its run correctly thanks Ren

Comments

• even if you're allowed

to dis/connect a ng line, your local code will dictate the specs, and it will need to be inspected. you wouldn't want the resposibility of something going wrong and having to try to explain it to your insurance co would you?
    'your garage/house burned down? sorry, but your not insured under these circumstances'
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    not direct burial

Csst is not approved for direct burial. It must be sleaved in 1 1/2' or larger polyethylene sealed at both ends. You can use copper or pvc coated copper but gas can be pretty corrosive on copper. I wouldn't use it. Polyethylene gas line with steel risers would be my preference. There are companies that will make it up for you and you just roll it into place. It needs to be buried 18".
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    talk to local jurisdiction but most likely they allow for

plastic Polyethylene pipe with tracer wire. We install them quite often. Have them made up with steel transition risers already fastened to plastic pipe. Our code is 18" min burial depth. Tape tracer wire to pipe to follow for future locating. No corrosion problems this way. This is the same stuff that gas utility uses to run there main pipes. Yellow plastic. stainless flex with covering must be installed in a conduit and vented at one end per mfr instructions. PE pipe can go right in dirt. Bed in sand, cover with clean dirt, pull rocks etc out as to not damage. I have installed 100ft of line in less than an hour with PE, just lay in connect and pressure test, of course the trenching was the time consumer, can you say landscapers are "really good at that m'aam.
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
    your local gas inspector

or city/county/state as applicable, would be able to tell you.

Within reason, deeper is better (18" isn't very deep, 24" for example would be better), and gas main grade plastic (generally PE) with a tracer wire and a marker tape above it will probably be the preferred solution, as steel pipe requires galvanic protection (e.g. cathode bags) and protective external coatings.

This is essentially what the utilities do now for service connections (and mains) -- transitioning to steel pipe below the grade where the riser comes up or the foundation is penetrated. tunneling is possible if you need to go under driveways etc. w/o cutting a trench (again utilities often to this on service upgrades w/ just a hole in the street and at the foundation/riser).

Be sure you make it large enough for everything you may want to connect, tubing is cheap, install labor isn't.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Remember to put a plastic warning tape in the trench about 6 inches above the gas line so when someone who doesn't know the pipe is there goes to dig for something unrelated he may find the tape before he pulls out the gas line.
  • Shark
    Shark Member Posts: 17
    Gas Pipe

Hi Ren,
    Just a few more things to think about.. yes you should use the plastic pipe and when you get the two sweeps they'll have the perfection type fittings on them. Like they mentioned before use a tracer wire and lay down warning tape too. Also make sure your gas meter will be able to carry the additional load.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jhfsdhf2171289
    jhfsdhf2171289 Member Posts: 9
    ug gas pipe

guys there are some things we should just tell HO they should not do and gas piping is one. here in NH because a little girl got killed we all need License code class CEU credit. so what Iam saying if one wants to do a project as above they should at least know the refrence material to consult before even starting just like we trades people do so the job passes all code inspections. jon
  • Ren Pavich
    Ren Pavich Member Posts: 14

I have the gas piping manual from the UA and was just looking for quick references before I start the work I'm a union pipefitter In Chicago and work in the Hvac business. I wouldn't want anybody to think I'm the home owner putting a hack job. Here in Chicago you don't need to be certified to put gas in. But on the same token I wouldn't put the job in until it was up to code and safe. Thanks for the comments
This discussion has been closed.