Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Water Heater

scrook_3
scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
...the COP going from say 110° to 125° -- more typical of the operating mode once the tank is initially heated (assumes a sufficiently sized tank such that fairly hot (at least 110° in this example) to hot water is always available, as should be be case, regardless of energy source)?

Even if only 2.0 say, vs. 3.4, it could be more attractive than resistance heating, particularly in the seasons where A/C was required, or in spaces where heat otherwise would go to waste, but I'm suspicious of a specsmanship game here, where COP is given for a favorable operating condition.

Comments

• Ron H_2
    Ron H_2 Member Posts: 3
    Heat Pump Water Heater

Has anybody installed an Airgenerate heat pump water heater?http://www.airgenerate.com/

Ron H

• i haven't

but it makes sense that someone would do it that way. it's been/being done in a similar manner: hot water and radiant from; http://www.daikin.com/
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    What worries me...

is that it uses INDOOR air... Who paid for THOSE btu's?

Now, if it were to be applied to an excessively overheated mechanical room (which is that way for a reason...) it MIGHT make sense, but to pull already paid for BTU's out of the air and put them into a DHW tanks doesn't make much sense to me.. Sorry.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• locate it in a place

that can use a/c and yer in biz
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    HPWH

I have played around with 2 of them. They have a unique design compared to the other heat pump water heaters out there. I like the concept behind them and the manufacturer is trying to produce a good product that will save a lot of money for those that live in the right climate and heat their water with electricity.

I like to see them installed in a basement where there is free heat from the ground below and the occupants can handle the noise they put out. The cold air they produce can be ducted to the outside or used inside during the summer months. They also do a pretty good job of pulling excess humidity out of a damp basement.
  • Paul Cooke
    Picture

This is not an Airgenerate HPWH. It's an E-Tech R106H with twice the output of the Airgenerate.

It's installed in a loft area above a grocery store warehouse that has a gas unit heater nearby keeping the ceiling area nice and warm in the winter.

Because it's a poorly insulated space it cooks up there in the summer so we're just using the wasted hot air to make hot water with less than 1/2 the amount of electricity that a standard electric element uses.

That's a 50 gal storage tank, but an 80 is a better size if you need more hot water.
  • Paul Cooke
    HPWH Picture

This is not an Airgenerate HPWH. It's an E-Tech R106H with twice the output of the Airgenerate.

It's installed in a loft area above a grocery store warehouse that has a gas unit heater nearby keeping the ceiling area nice and warm in the winter.

Because it's a poorly insulated space it cooks up there in the summer as well, so we're just using the wasted hot air to make hot water with less than 1/2 the amount of electricity that a standard electric element uses.

That's a 50 gal storage tank, but an 80 is a better size if you need more hot water.
  • Ron H_2
    Tax Credit

From what I read it qualifies for the up to $1500.00 tax credit.

Ron
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

What kind of recovery rate do they have?

How quick would that unit heat the tank from cold start?

thanks
  • recovery rate?

their site would have that info
    http://www.airgenerate.com/
  • Paul Cooke
    Recovery Rate

From what I understand, the AirGenerate has an output of about 6000 BTU's/hr.

This is directly from E-Tech:

"C.O.P.: 3.4 (Avg. when going from a 58°F tank to a 125°F tank.) Recovery Rate: 23 gph at 125°F tank temp.
    26 gph at 115°F tank temp.
    Heating Output: 12,500 Btu/hr (nominal) Water flow rate (internal): 2.0 gpm
    Cooling Capacity: 8,800 Btu/hr Sound level: 60 db(A) at 5 feet
    Dehumidification Capacity: 1.6 Pints/hr Maximum tank temperature: 125°F"

Although the recovery rate is slower than a standard electric element by increasing the storage capacity of the tank you increase the effectiveness of the heat pump. You eliminate stratification and actually have a full 50 gallons or 80 gallons of heated water available after the heat pump has brought the tank up to temperature.
  • Paul Cooke
    COP

scrook-

I would think the COP would be even better than 3.4 when you are going from 110° to 125°.

These heaters work. Anywhere that electric rates are fairly high, and gas may not be available, I think these are a good fit.

• Ron H_2
    Other Brands?

Are there other brands?

Ron H
  • Paul Cooke
    Brands

There is another brand I am aware of called the Nyle. I have not ever installed one.
This discussion has been closed.