Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Scale on the Water Side

Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
The l-o-n-g thread about stainless heat exchangers had some discussion about scale developing inside the waterways; and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for dissolving or removing this stuff.
One of my installs (a retrofit to a Runtal-type system with well-water) has developed a serious buildup inside the stainless tubes. No name-calling, but it has the French heat exchanger similar to what is used by many brands. This stuff is black and looks like iron, half-inch long pieces smaller than a pencil in diameter and nicely radiused on one side (like the inside of the heat exchanger tubes, or the inside edge of a Runtal panel. I got some of it out using water pressure and rattling it back and forth, and cleaned out the spirovent. I have visions of removing the heat exchanger and stripping it for an acid bath or something. Maybe just replacement is in order? Anybody experienced this?
This discussion has been closed.