Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate receiver pics

Billy March_2
Billy March_2 Member Posts: 57
After piping this tank in I realized that the inlet of the condensate return is exactly the same height as the finished floor. You walk down 3 steps into the boiler room and it didn't hit me until I was done that the old tank I removed was alot lower in height than the one I installed.

What I essentially did was turn the dry condensate into a wet return. I am concerned because with this elevation, the steam traps on the lower radiators are NOW only about 4 inches higher than the return pipe that is now full of condensate.

In the accompanying photo the condensate enters the tank 26 inches above the floor of the boiler room. The measurement from the boiler room floor to the basement floor is exactly the same--- 26 inches. That means that I only have a small amount of piping between the water line and the steam traps.

If I removed the 3.5" blocks from under the tank and set it right on the floor, would that make much of a difference. I am really concerned about banging.

I think my only other alternatives are:

1. dig up the basement floor and set the tank down about 15 inches.

2. install a tank that has a lower profile.

BTW.... When you view the photo you will see the existing 1.1/4" copper return line running along the back wall behind the tank. The old tank had the condensate entering it BELOW that copper return line.

What do you think?????? Do I have a problem?

Comments

• John T_3
    John T_3 Member Posts: 34
    Condensate return

How does this system vent air? If it's from that wet return that used to be dry I would say yes you have a problem.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    I am wondering if you can get to where the dry returns are

before they go wet, can you put Gordon vents on them instead. Just wondering. Don't know if this is acceptable for sure but maybe steamhead or other will chime in. Tim
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    As long as the returns are at zero pressure

venting them before they go wet would probably work OK.

I wouldn't put that condensate unit into a pit. Pits tend to flood out motors. But if venting the returns is not an option, they do make condensate return pumps with below-grade tanks. Think sump pump for condensate only and you'll get the idea.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.