Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Toledo threader

old Toledo #2 threader(2-1/2 to 4") somewhere around here (buried in mothballs), I may just dig-it-out & try for nostalgia.<BR>This is not "jam-proof" like my 141, so you have to keep your eye on-it when using the driveshaft in the 300 ;-).<BR>Anyone got any others kicking-around?<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    TOLEDO

I ALSO HAD ONE BUT IT TOOK 4 DIFFERENT SETS OF DIES [ ONE FOR EACH SIZE ] & SOME WERE LOST SO I WAS FORCED TO SCRAP IT. REPLACEMENT DIES JUST DID NOT WARRANT RESTORATION. PRICE WAS ASTRONOMICAL. IF WORKERS HAD TO BUY THESE TOOLS THEY WOULD TAKE BETTER CARE OF THEM. KILLED ME TO SEE THAT OLD STOCK GO.
  • Bob,

I just knew I would hear from you LOL.
    My Toledo`s are complete, perfect dies & driveshaft.
    Figured you may get a kick, post some pics later :-).

Dave
  • bob young
    jam proof ....NOT

Yeah, Dave. did you ever see one of those babies jam up & flip a "400 " machine complete with standard universal [ no drive bar ] in a tight corridor. very intense situation. machine was my old oster [ enough torque to rip your arms outa their sockets.] yeah, it was all good !! lol
  • Never witnessed that Bob

but I`ve heard stories.
    After making sure everyone in the line of fire was alright, it must have been some effort to get them "un-jammed"? :-o

Dave
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Dances with Osters...

My brother an dI were repiping a dry cleaning operation, using my dad's Oster three legged monster.

During a breif lapse of common sense, I attempted to counter the torque of the motor whilts threading instead of using the prop/stop bar.

The machine flipped over so fast, I stood there in awe, watching it flip its way across the floor, and suddenly got my wits about me and unplugged the power cord going to it. Even after unplugging it, it took what seemed like hours for it to quit flipping and flopping across the floor.

We nick named it "The Widow Maker" after that great experience.

Look ma, no foot pedal! :-)

Ah, the good ol' days... NOT!!!

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    threader

still got them, and use them at times. Made to last. peace
  • Well,

it took me awhile, but I managed to get them cleaned-up & re-lubed.
    These have not been used since the 60`s & still have the original wooden crate they came-in w/matching serial #`s. Even the instructions.
    When we get better outdoor weather, I`ll give them a go.
    PS-I forgot the dies, but they are "pristine".

Dave
  • bob young
    ready for action

looking good. the ratchet brings back memories. once cut a 5 " thread in place by hand with a ridgid stock . **** that !!!
  • bob young
    major torque

{During a breif lapse of common sense, I attempted to counter the torque of the motor whilts threading instead of using the prop/stop bar. }

{ The machine flipped over so fast, I stood there in awe, watching it flip its way across the floor, and suddenly got my wits about me and unplugged the power cord going to it. Even after unplugging it, it took what seemed like hours for it to quit flipping and flopping across the floor.

] UNLESS it actually happened to them , other plumbers tend to think you are exaggerating. i was there and the picture in my mind is still crystal clear !! lol bob
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Just like the set

Granddad passed along to Dad....BTW, I never flipped the Oster...we had 4-leg models
  • bob young
    THE FOUR LEGGED OSTER MODELS FLIP BEAUTIFULLY.

I don't think oster made a 300 type but i could be wrong.
  • Well they`re,

going great! The threads cut perfectly, and the 300 really saves the arms.
    Except for carrying-it into place. Where are the apprentices when you need them. ;-)

Dave
This discussion has been closed.