Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Ex-Submariners

Options
rt_2
rt_2 Member Posts: 86
This may not be the correct place to talk about this but have any of you ex-submariners seen the pictures of the SSN-768 which collided with a surface ship this past week? See them at the below site. This ship just left the yards from a overhaul.

Rene

http://op-for.com/

Comments

• Sorry,

target here... ;)

Thanks for that
  • Maltimore/Maine Doug
    Options
    You can see the lookout with glasses

peering at the camera. Perhaps they needed to be looking a bit earlier. The ship spilled an estimated 25,000 gallons of fuel. This would be the third sub collision in 5 years in the Strait which may make the Navy change its method of operations there. There is no "bailout" money left.....
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yup, ditto..

maybe to many bubbles in the blood stream...beat that sail up didn't they?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• That'll,,,

buff right out... ;)
  • LIBOB
    LIBOB Member Posts: 23
    Options
    submarines

My Uncle was on the USS Toro in WWII. Any websites I can visit to find any information. He has past on like so many WWII vets. I'm just curious.
  • gerry gill
    Options
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Seattle Nick
    Seattle Nick Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Powered by Fairbanks Morse

Tench Class Submarine: Laid down, 27 May 1944, at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, ME.; Launched, 23 August 1944; Commissioned USS Toro (SS-422), 6 December 1944; Decommissioned, 7 February 1946, at New London, CT.; Laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Thames River, New London, CT.; Recommissioned, 13 May 1947; Redesignated Auxiliary Research Submarine (AGSS-422) in July 1962; Decommissioned 11 March 1963, at the Atlantic Reserve Fleet Philadelphia Group; Struck from the Naval Register, 1 April 1963; Final Disposition, Sold for scrapping to North American Smelting Co. in Bordentown, NJ. Toro received two battle stars for her World War II service.
    Partial data submitted by Ron Reeves, HTC, USNR (ret.)

Specifications: Displacement, Surfaced: 1,570 t., Submerged: 2,416 t.; Length 311' 8"; Beam 27' 2"; Draft 15' 3"; Speed, Surfaced 20.25 kts, Submerged 8.75 kts; Cruising Range, 11,000 miles surfaced at 10kts; Submerged Endurance, 48 hours at 2kts; Operating Depth, 400 ft; Complement 6 Officers 60 Enlisted; Armament, ten 21" torpedo tubes, six forward, four aft, 24 torpedoes, one 5"/25 deck gun, one 40mm gun, one 20mm gun, two .50 cal. machine guns; Patrol Endurance 75 days; Propulsion, diesel-electric reduction gear with four Fairbanks Morse main generator diesel engines, 5,400 hp, Fuel Capacity, 113,510 gals, two General Electric main motors, 2,740 hp, two 126-cell main storage batteries, two propellers.
  • Seattle Nick
    Options
    Powered by Fairbanks Morse Opposed-Piston Diesels

Here is a start on the TORO history:

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/t7/toro.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08422.htm

Tench Class Submarine: Laid down, 27 May 1944, at Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, ME.; Launched, 23 August 1944; Commissioned USS Toro (SS-422), 6 December 1944; Decommissioned, 7 February 1946, at New London, CT.; Laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Thames River, New London, CT.; Recommissioned, 13 May 1947; Redesignated Auxiliary Research Submarine (AGSS-422) in July 1962; Decommissioned 11 March 1963, at the Atlantic Reserve Fleet Philadelphia Group; Struck from the Naval Register, 1 April 1963; Final Disposition, Sold for scrapping to North American Smelting Co. in Bordentown, NJ. Toro received two battle stars for her World War II service.
    Partial data submitted by Ron Reeves, HTC, USNR (ret.)

Specifications: Displacement, Surfaced: 1,570 t., Submerged: 2,416 t.; Length 311' 8"; Beam 27' 2"; Draft 15' 3"; Speed, Surfaced 20.25 kts, Submerged 8.75 kts; Cruising Range, 11,000 miles surfaced at 10kts; Submerged Endurance, 48 hours at 2kts; Operating Depth, 400 ft; Complement 6 Officers 60 Enlisted; Armament, ten 21" torpedo tubes, six forward, four aft, 24 torpedoes, one 5"/25 deck gun, one 40mm gun, one 20mm gun, two .50 cal. machine guns; Patrol Endurance 75 days; Propulsion, diesel-electric reduction gear with four Fairbanks Morse main generator diesel engines, 5,400 hp, Fuel Capacity, 113,510 gals, two General Electric main motors, 2,740 hp, two 126-cell main storage batteries, two propellers.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,002
    Options
    That takes a special personality type to be on a Sub

Not for me....they'd have to lock me in the brig from time to time: "I GOTTA GET TO THE SURFACE!!!!! NOWW!!! CAPTAIN" I'd take my chances in the Infantry ON LAND. God Bless our SUBMARINERS!!! - Special breed. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Davis_2
    Rich Davis_2 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    I Wasn't a Bubblehead, But

I was a tender puke, I served on 4 tenders Simon Lake, twice, Holland and the Canopus in Holy Loch, Scotland, RotaSpain and Charleston, SC. Submariners are a different breed but a great bunch of guys.
  • rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86
    Options

Rich,
    Maybe we crossed paths in Scotland. I was over there for 2 months in 1979 and again in 1981 I believe. I worked for the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and did a DMP in 1979 for 2 months and did a 3 week stint in 1981 I believe for some garantee work.

Rene
  • I remember,

We (DDG-14) had to lay into Guam for repairs because we had a cable come loose from the oiler and wrap around our port screw during unrep. A great story all on it's own featuring me and a few buds in the whaleboat in the middle of the Pacific under heavy seas watching for sharks.

Anyhoo, we were in Guam 30 days. The last two weeks we (THE WHOLE CREW!!) were restricted to the ship by the base Commander cause our guys kept beating up on all the sub sailors at the club. And (for what it's worth) IT WASN'T ME!! lol...
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Related story:

One of my wifes cousins (Captain-?-Ron Glover) was a nuclear submarine commander and he offered to take his and my wifes uncle for a ride from Connecticut to a base down south. I was invited on but Uncle Walter turned him down before I was aware of the opportunity.

A chance missed but thanks for the reminder of what could have been.

Ron ended up retiring because he was not a Naval Academy guy so they would not promote him to Admiral.

Sorry to you Navy men if I have these ranks screwed up (no pun intended).

Jack
  • Live/Learn
    Live/Learn Member Posts: 97
    Options
    don't mess with us!

Hi there swabby. I bet you never messed with us Seabees did ya? Comming from an old Seabee stationed on Saipan during the 50's. Haffa day, Live/Learn
  • I said,

It wasn't me!!

I'm a lover not a fighter! ;)

Nope, don't think I ever ran into a SeaBee, don't know about my friends.

There was this one guy of ours who started a bunch of trouble and when the SHTF he dove under the pool table and stayed there until it was over. He got a lot of grief for a long time over that one. LOL...
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    subs

no collisions with the sub I was on .68-72 USS Corporal SS-346,a WWII sub.I was an EN2-SS, Engineman 2nd class,Auxillary Gang.DIVE!!DIVE!!!DIVE!!!
  • LIBOB
    LIBOB Member Posts: 23
    Options
    USS Toro

Thank You SeattleNick I'll take a look.
  • yay,,,

A Gang!! I loved A Gang. ;)
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    With all the technology these crafts have...

how in the heck did they run into each other? I mean the navy has been accused of driving whole whale pods ashore with their sonar technology. That is really baffling. I will bet that more than a few people will be defecating from more than one lower orifice...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Probably,

the sub was sitting there not radiating and, being stealthy and all, the surface ship did not detect it. Neither knew the other was there.
  • Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Sub Story

I am reminded of a story myself and Mr Hunt heard in the Flight Line Pub once upon a time. An old fella sitting next to us told us how he was a sonar man on a diesel boat. They were in the North Atlantic on a exercise. Apparently a humpback whale fell in love with the sub and kept trying to show it's "affection" to the vessel. The trick of course was to not let the sub go down in the process. Very tricky he said to keep the beast off of the sub!!!!

He told another story of surfacing in rough waters to run the diesels and charge the batteries. Everytime high waves would go over the air inlet for the engines the boat would get sucked into a vacuum. This actually burst some eardrums. You can't make this stuff up!!!!
  • Seattle Nick
    Options

Diesel Boats video

Always a fun one to watch
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    pipefitter

i was a pipefitter on navy subs & ammo ships in 1967 at the quincy ,mass. shipyard. 636 & 649 boats & ae 26 & 27
  • gerry gill
    Options

• I'll see your 600 pounders,,,

and raise you 1200! ;)
  • gerry gill
    Options
    i'll call your 1200

i was also on the dd-948 with four 1200 pound boilers..scary stuff wasn't it..watched a chief walk around with a broom stick looing for a leak once..scary stuff.

This discussion has been closed.