Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler sludge removal ?

Options
isn't actually larger, and someone put a bushing in it to get it down to 3/4"? The typical skim port is either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2".

Which Peerless is it?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• jay_48
    jay_48 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Boiler sludge removal

Guy's I have a Peerless boiler that I would like to remove sludge from the bottom.I cannot budge the unused 2" return plug so here are my options. Internal access can be gained above the water line thru a 3/4" skim port or a 3/4" blowoff valve nipple. Below the waterline I have the usual 3/4" drain valve and a 3/4" plugged drain at the bottom of the equalizer before it enters the boiler. Given these options what would be the best way to run pressurized hose water into the boiler to attempt to remove the sludge? Should I let the water run slowly for a long time or shot it in under pressure. Thanks Jay
  • Add some steam boiler cleaner

and let it heat up . Then drain the water from the boiler , from that 3/4 drain . Let it cool for a while then refill the boiler .

Hose water by itself probably won't do the trick . Do you have a purge setup on the return piping too ? More than likely that's full of spooge also .
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Technical term???

Spooge? I was looking through all of my technical manuals and could not find that term. I'd hate to tell you what happened when I googled it. The google explanation was sufficient enough for me to get the picture. Spooge indeed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    spooge

way back in '66, i had a classmate that went by the nickname of spoogie. and i've often wondered if it meant that way back then
  • \" Spooge \"

Term loosely based on the words sludge , ooze , and goop . I gotta Google it now . We've been calling it spooge for years :)
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    spooge

18. spooge 4 up, 6 down
    As of 2008, has come to mean "something that needs to be cleaned up."
    On an episode of "This Old House" one of the guys referred to "spooge on the tops of the cabinets" in a house they were working on.
    mess grime detritus slop wastage scraps
    by wfox11 Apr 20, 2008 share this
    at least 50 of the 56 definitions refere to love juice
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Google finds...

references to urban slang for ejaculate, or occasionally other bodily discharges (e.g. puss), and more generally, materials of similar consistency/appearence.

I have also heard it used as a verb (to spooge...):

"I spooged some caulk into the crack to keep rain out."

Language is a funny thing.
  • jay_48
    jay_48 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Ron jr I have a drain valve at the end of the return. Steamhead It's a peerless 61 series 5 section. The nipple for the skim is 1"OD and not reduced. I have used Rhomar 9150 in a attempt to clean. When I flushed it appeared that sludge at the bottom of the boiler was having trouble exiting through the bottom 3/4" drain. Would a TSP treatment breakup the sludge further to ease removal? Or ,since I cannot run pressurized water to attack the buildup,is it a process of multiple filling and draining to try and get it to drain clean?Would attaching a wetvac to the bottom drain add in sucking out the sludge after filling the boiler? I am leary of introducing so must new fresh water to the system. Thanks Jay
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    plug removal

my installer pointed out that he had put nipples with caps in my new boiler, saying, "you can always get a nipple out, but not a plug". i am glad he did that, but i wonder how the plug could be removed, if you really had to get it out. there must be a way.--nbc
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Options
    another \"spooge\"

Spooge recipe
    rating
    6 votes
    vote
    serve in
    Cocktail Glass
    alcohol
    16%
    options
    Print
    Save
    Add Comments
    Scale ingredients to servings
    1 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
    1 oz Malibu® coconut rum
    1 oz cream

Pour ingredients into a mixing tin, shake like a wild man, and strain into a martini glass.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    You'd have to

drill the plug and then cut it out. But it can be done.

Jay, the wetvac is a good idea. It would increase the ΔP thru the drain, possibly bringing more sludge with it. And if the drain is not a ball-valve type, change it over. This type works much better.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.