Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Space shuttle launch

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Since their launch, the wholes shebang has passed over Denver and was visible three times. 3 minutes per pass for first 2, and 1 minute for the last pass.

I remember going outside as a young boy and watching the Sputnik satellite pass over head. THAT was awsome.

Even though it is much more common site/practice today, there is still something about knowing that there are humans beings in that bright thing passing over head...

THere is a website called www.heavens-above.com that can tell you almost to the minute, when and where you look to see a space craft orbiting the Earth. They can even tell you when and where to look to see the tool bag that woman lost on the last shuttle trip!. You need binoculars or a scope, but I guess they are visible.

Ain't the internet awesome. Thanks Al Gore!! Don't know how I'd live without it. ;-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    Was fortunate to be there

Was on vacation last three weeks in Florida. Came off a cruise and found out space shuttle was scheduled to launch in two days. Got on the phone and got tickets to the Kennedy Space Center. Watched a night launch of Discovery from the Space Center. Probably one of the top 10 things I have ever witnessed. They had a glitch in a helium valve. The valve was suppossed to inject helium between the space shuttle and the external fuel tank connection to keep ice from forming on the space shuttle. Pressure was too low. They had to have some engineering guys go and manually adjust the valve to increase the helium pressure. I thought to myself, "Hey, I keep things from freezing, I turn valves all day long, PUT ME IN, COACH!"
    The launch went off without a hitch and it...was....AWESOME!
    Regards,
    Rocky
  • Saw one,

From the Titusville beach back in the early 80's. 3 miles away and it was shaking the ground. Awesome!
  • Seeing how's,,,

I was born the y3ear Sputnik went up all I can say is, gee ME you're so olllld! ;)
  • Baltimore/Maine Doug_5
    Options
    When I was working in FL.

we watched a launch from the office parking lot on a very cold day. Almost to a person we commented that this was the coldest launch day we had seen. It was very clear that something was going wrong and we rushed in to turn on the conference room TV to see the replay and confirm what our eyes had seen. It was a very quiet and sad day.
  • rene_4
    rene_4 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Check this site. Click on "Sightings by city" on the left side. Then pick the state, then the city clodest to you.

Rene

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    OUCH...

You young whipper snapper.

RESPECT your elders :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Oops...

my bad! ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    did ya see the bat?

poor little guy. but it must've been one hell of an e ticket
  • Ray_14
    Ray_14 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Wife and I went to Kennedy in 1995 for a honeymoon stop. Both launch pads had Shuttles on them. One of the shuttles had woodpeckers in the external tank, so it was delayed. They had a schedule, so they were getting ready to launch the 2nd one. Back then, they drove you to approx. 200 yds. from the launch pad. Taking pictures of those mammouth ships was breathtaking. Priceless.
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    I was in Fort Myers

and had just wathed the Sun go down over the horizon. Turned to head East and saw the streak in the sky that was the launch. Very exciting to see, and we were all the way on the Gulf coast. Wow!!! WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rocky_3
    Rocky_3 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    It was incredible to think

that atop that huge fireball travelling at 5 miles PER SECOND sat 6 human beings going on the ride of their lives. The crowd was pretty quiet at launch and during the burn, but as soon as the last vestige of the space shuttle's rockets could no longer be seen, with one voice about three thousand people screamed, "YEAHH!!!!!!!!"
    Rock
  • Makes ya,,,

proud to be an American, don't it? :)
This discussion has been closed.