Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Helping my son

old oil man
old oil man Member Posts: 23
My son lives in Garden City on the isle of long. He is
in need of a boiler replacement and I am considering giving
him a hand. First some background, I'm from the Utica, NY
area and I've been designing, installing and servicing
hydronic systems for 47 years and reciently retired. We
have used the Utica boiler line since I've known the Reids
for all that time. Now there are all kinds of pro, & cons
to coming down to Long Island and doing this. My 1st concern would be in the area of future service when needed.
Are there any of you fellows who would be interested in servicing his needs in the future? Also is there a
boiler line that might be more popular in Long Island?
He has oil now and was locked in to $4.79/gal all year.
he has purchased 485 gallons of his minimum 500 gallon
alotment and the oil company is giving him a hard time
because he asked to suspend deliveries since he has a 1/2
tank which is plenty to get him through the rest of the
heating season. They say there min delivery is 100 Gal and they insist on making a delivery to satisfy the contract.
My son wants to convert to gas and they say if they don't deliver he will owe a $479 for early termination of the
contract. Sorry for my rambling but, they seem to be giving him quite a hard time over 15 gallons of oil.
I've worked for a combo Oil and HVAC company for my whole career and would favor oil over gas but, my son favors gas
so thats what we'll probably do.

Comments

• steve_196
    steve_196 Member Posts: 33

I'd like everybody to know that this gentlemen is absolutely one of the best service technicians that you will ever meet in your life. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds(probably more like thousands)of systems in this area that he has been involved with. If one of you gentlemen would agree to assist him, you would have the opportunity to see some beautiful work. And you'd be helping a terrific guy.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    lock in

Is he automatic or will call delivery? Call for the fill up, retail is atleast 1/2 that now. He'll pay the high price for 15 gallons of the 500 allotment, and he should only pay retail for the rest. Tell them you hav 1/4 tank. If they overfill the tank, it's their own stupidity, and their responsibility. I run a full service oil company, and stuff like this pisses me off. We offered no lock in this season just for that reason. Up untill fall, it was over $4 per gallon. Noone should have locked in this season. I would, for obvious reasons, replace the heating unit, and find a reputable company. This company sounds like scum. John you sound like you have served the industry well. Good luck to you and your son. peace
  • billtwocase
    help this poor guy out

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    I will.

At 60 next time around I would love to help a Master. I starterd in oil.

It seems to me someone should still make a gun boiler, so install that and burn the oil on hand, shile piping for and having the gas gun on sight.

Cleveland to the Isle of Long is a day each way for a service call.

Matt Sweeny pay mind.

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Mark, they do make such units

they're pretty much all we install anymore.

If it's hot-water, the Solaia boiler would be my choice. This is based on the Biasi 3-pass block, and is offered from the factory with Beckett or Riello oil burners as well as the HeatWise SU powered gas burner.

If it's steam, the Slant/Fin Intrepid would be my choice. It is approved for use with the Carlin EZ-Gas, HeatWise SU and Midco EC powered gas burners, as well as the usual oil burners. We've also used the Smith 8 series with Carlin EZ-Gas for this, but availability has been iffy of late. Unfortunately, there's no gas option for the Burnham MegaSteam.

Slant/Fin and HeatWise are both Long Island-based, if you want to support the local economy.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

John, have your son call the company and offer to cut a check for $72 ( I think the math is right), and to keep the oil. This will satisfy the contract. Also let them know that any and every person you come across will hear about the way they do business.
  • billtwocase
    contract

buying out for $72 probably won't satisfy them Peckham, sounds like they want blood. I'll bet it specifies that dollar amount posted as an early termination fee. Like a cell phone. These contracts are pretty well spelled out, and signed by the customer. If he signed nothing, give them the salute and be on you're way. peace
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    Helping my son

John, I agree w/ Peckham. Have your son call for a 15 gl delivery to satisfy the contract, a contract is a contract, but the delivery alone will cost that company $40 out of the $72 revenue, F&*K them!. Have your son further idicate to this scum oil company that aside from never establishing a contract again that he will be additionally lodging a notice of complaint with the Better Business Bureau w/ regards to price gouging. BBB is a Fed agency that legally has to be answered to. Thereafter, he can tell anyone he wishes what **** they are to hold him to that price w/ crude prices in the $40bbl range, please post this company's name on this web site. Lastly, since you've been in the biz so long and he has 500 gl capacity like I do, I also live on the island of long (sayville) shop around. I use www.homeheating4less.com for a bench mark price then call the locals. Just bought 250 gls @ $1.50/gl. Plan on filling up before summer before crude goes creeps back up above $60 bbl and it will. Since your son lives in GC, sounds like he ain't eating cheese sanwiches to get by so, have him secure a real good and trustworthy boiler guy, then price shop on the juice. Wish you both all the best of luck.

best regartds, Mark Z
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    solution

The son gets 3-5 gallon gas cans and heads down to the oil dealer. He tells them he's there for his 15 gallons of oil. End of story.

Mike

• billtwocase
    oil delivery

That would be great if he could go pick up the 15 gallons, if they have a #2 pump like I do, but chances are they want to do the 100 gallon minimum. That's standard practice. If the cut off gallons for him is 500, after he reaches that allotment it had better be that days retail plus any discounts. I say call for a fill or 100 gallons, whichever comes first, use up the contract, then tell them to go screw. peace
  • billtwocase
    oil delivery

• old oil man

Thank you very much Steve for the kind words and many
    thanks to all you other fellows for your imput and ideas.
    I love the three 5 Gal. cans idea, that might work. I'm on my way down to Garden City today -first thing ya gotta do
    is a "heat loss calk, right? Seriously though, I may not
    be doing him a favor at all if he can't obtain service
    down the road - he may be better off with a local company doing the install. If he were to stay with oil I would have less concern about obtaining service, I'm sure there are many full service oil companies that would be glad for his business. Ron Jr's company sounds like just such a company,
    not sure if they go to Garden City though. Thanks again fellas your support, it is greatly appreciated. I'll post again when I return home.

• tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 612
    Price Gouging?

While I agree that 4+ dollars a gallon is high at this point, if oil went to 5+ dollars or more it would have been a bargain. A contract is a contract if indeed one was signed. All the bellyaching and veiled threats to expose the "criminal" company in a public forum will go nowhere. To refer to the oil company as "scum" and "****" because they have honored their end of the bargain is out of line. Lest we forget here, the oil company has held up their end of the bargain, NOT the homeowner. This guy is NOT the only one to get locked into a high price structure. He gambled and LOST! Will Atlantic City or Las Vegas give you your money back when you roll the dice and lose? Thats not reality nor is reversing ANY contract once its been inked. Sounds like sour grapes. Try buying a car, pay for it for two and a half years, and miss the last payments and see how you do. I'll see you on the next episode of "Repo Man". I think this is a perfect example of live and learn. Unless I'm missing something (and that may very well be) the oil company has held up their end.
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    helping my son

TommyOil, you do have some valid points and I totally agree w/ you that a contract is a contract and poor John's son has experienced a big live and learn. And yes, all the bellyaching in the world won't solve the problem it's just nice to vent(there was some Bushmills talking there as well). However, I will disagree w/ you on one point, the purchase of a commodity is a business transaction, not gambling. No matter how you slice it, that oil company are bad business people, they just lost a customer for life. If there is one thing that business teaches people, some get it an some don't, is that in business you can replace everything and survive except for the customer. Wonder over how many other clients heads they held those contracts and will loose them as well. Wouldn't be too surprised if you drive past the store front of that oil company and see a sign in the window that says 'For Rent'. That would be poetic justice. Lastly, I absolutely love the idea of going down w/ the 3 Jerry jugs to satisfy the contract. It probably won't work, but best thing is to call, talk about satisfying the 15 gl at the higher price, recognize the 100 gl min delivery and get the price dropped for the remaining 85 gl. That would be fair and my humble opinion. ****!

best regards to all, Mark Z
  • Mark

By law the oil company had to buy contracts to cover their **** if the price of oil went to 6 dollars a gallon.They are locked into their contracts to their terminals. They are only asking the customer to live up to their contract.I do agree if the homeowner sent a check for the 15 gallons then the contract is done.I know all this because have a oil company with customers with lock in prices but I will never do it again after all the bitching this season as it became my fault that the price dropped. Oil customers are like most americans today everything that happens to them is no fault of their own ever just sad my two cents peace
  • Sissy
    Sissy Member Posts: 31

Just a disclaimer, but on my last post I assumed (hopefully incorrectly) that the oil supplier wanted to charge the complete delivery at the lock in rate
  • tommyoil
    Mark

I agree with the Bushmills but disagree that buying fuel at a locked in rate is not a gamble. Its the same as buying stocks which is exactly like going to Las Vegas. Its just that when everyone figured price was going to soar, it tanked and everyone took a bath that got locked in at the higher rate. Its really no fault of the local oil dealers. They had to honor their contracts with the big oil companies so it filtered down to us, the consumers. I didnt say I liked what happened or thought it was necessarily fair considering that Exxon made record profit that quarter. Also, I do agree with the fact that they should only make him buy the 15 gallons to satisfy the contract. Making him buy 100 gal minimum to satisfy a 15 gallon obligation is bulls**t. I'd drop them as my dealer based on THAT and not the high priced fuel. The contract for the mega bucks oil was the the homeowners decision. I wouldnt be surprised if the oil company "shorted" him on his last delivery. That way, they could owe him 15 gallons but have to deliver the 100 gal minimum per company policy. He gets his 15 gallons and they make the money on the overage. Figure an 85 gallon overage delivery times 100 customers or more and thats quite a racket they have going. Then I would have to agree with you on the **** implication.
  • steve_170
    steve_170 Member Posts: 2
    helping

I was just hoping to redirect everybody on the idea behind this post. We know the pricing structure behind the sales of fuel just sucks but what we really need to know is if there is anyone in the Long Island area that would be willing to service his beautiful gas installation once its complete. Hoping to hear back from somebody nearer the Garden City area, right John. Are you going to just take a nice looking Utica boiler down there with you and will you need a hand once you get down there? If you do, please let me know. I will certainly help if i'm able. Might even get a chance to meet DAN.
  • old oil man
    Steve,Tommieoil, & Peckham

Hi Steve, I'm back from the isle of long and just read your latest post. Yes I'd love to use a Utica, I've got to get together with Scott D and see if he can hook me up
    with a supplier down there. I'd rather not lug one all the
    way down from here.
    I'd also like to respond to Tommieoil's orignal post - we werent crying over spilled milk. I've got hugh respect and great compassion for anyone in the heating oil business
    today. Its not a fun business anymore. I started out working for my Dad in 61, he & mom ran a small (million
    gallon) mom & pop oil company, just mom dad & me. I
    remember dilivering oil that year with a 650 gal 47 Chevy,
    3 to 4 stops per load, delivered it for 10 cents/ gal that summer. When the folks retired i 76 we sold out to another family owned company, been there every since till last June when I retired. So I'm familiar with the dealers
    plight today. Must have been a great year handling all the complaints this past year. Between that and accounts
    recievables, no fun at all. My son signed on last July and locked in at $4.79 gal. He could have opted to pay the
    early termination fee of $495 long ago, but he said no, a
    contract is a contract. All he wanted was to hold up deliveries till he decided whether to put in a new oil boiler or switch to Natural gas. They said they could not
    hold up deliveries, and they expected payment for the
    early termination. My son fully intends to pay them
    whatever they tell him he owes, its not worth jeprodizing your credit standing,or going through the hassle elsewise.
    I have no intention to post the name of the company involved, they are trying to stay in business during these
    tough times. They do not seem to appreciate my sons
    loyality however.
    And yes Peckham, the deliveries were to be at the full
    price - $4.79. They did allow as how after further discussion that they could make consession and lowerjfaFOJ it to $4.19/ gal.
  • Popular brands

on LI are Burnham , Peerless , Weil Mclain . Garden City .......... is it steam or hot water ?

We used to pick up Utica Starfires from a supply house in North Bellmore ..... not too far from Garden City . It's been a long time since and I'm not sure if they still stock the line .

What a few others said about oil prices are true . In essence ( from what I understand ) if you lock in to a price , the oil company is buying the estimated amount of oil that will be burned in that home , priced at that point in time .

I'd suggest an oil boiler that can be converted to gas in the future .
  • tommyoil
    John

Sorry about the perceived slight. It was unintentional. I suppose the intent of my comments was to point out that, as usual, the oil company appeared to be the heavy despite the fact that a contract had been in force. No question about the mishandling of the account. I'm in agreement there and agree that the customer service leaves a bit to be desired. That treatment of a customer(your son) is just another black eye for an already struggling industry. No wonder hes going to gas. Again, my apologies. I've been wondering if he would have stayed with oil even if he had world class service or was gas a foregone conclusion. Just wondering.
  • old oil man
    oli companies poor image

Tommie oil, thanks for the come back, I couldn't agree with you more about the poor image oil presents to the public. Things like this sure don't help. What did Mary Kay used to say? - "dissatisfy just one customer and they
    will tell 165 other people about it." As far as my son goes he still would consider oil if I suggested it to him.
    Perhaps he could find a GOOD independent service contractor
    who just did service & installations and then shop around for the best buy on oil each time he needed it. As I said earlier I just got back from there yesterday, I was looking over the job. I went over to Bethpage State Park to look over the Black course in preperation for the US Open in June, I'll be there working it in June, sure looking forward to it. Maybe I'll be able to look up Dan.
    Thanks again for all your input!
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    We're in Garden City just about everyday.........

Our shop is the next town over. Be glad to help him/you out. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,354
    We recommend a few really nice oil companies

that service your son's area. Mad Dog

• old oil man
    Thanks Mad Dog

Thanks Mad Dog for your kindness. I noticed you are listed
    in the "find a contractor" section here, I almost called
    you when I was down over the weekend. I'll be down again soon I'll bring my pictures of my steam jobs. I'd love to
    get together with you.
  • Tekkie
    Tekkie Member Posts: 58
    BBB

Is NOT a Federal agency. Only a toothless hole in the ground that owners toss money into.
This discussion has been closed.