Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 boilers with switchover from lowwater

JSPAK
JSPAK Member Posts: 25
here is the situation ....there are 2 steam boilers (gas fired 2.5 million btus apiece)they basically have their own pressure controls.but they are also controlled by a lcp( eventually we going to the dx-9100(johnson controls))the controller has a unoccupied and occupied and only lets one boiler run at a time .if one boiler goes on flame failure the second boiler will come on after 1 min.if the boiler that is lead runs for more than 1/2 hour without building up steam pressure second boiler comes on to help . here is the problem if lead boiler doesnt come on because of low water ,then there is no way second boiler will come on .my question is can i wire it using a relay to make 2nd boiler come on (which i already got it figured out)even though the first boiler is off on manual reset lowater.... i am just looking for any problems that may arise doing this practice.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    tag-team boilers

if these boilers feed the same steam system, then they must have a common header and return. how could one be low without the other being low as well? are there two boilers simply for redundancy, or is this a "staged" heating system? only problems which may arise later would be, if the control system is very complicated, will someone other than yourself be able to diagnose the cause of any malfunction?

why not have the pressure controls on a shared header to reduce controler confusion? there is a lot to be said in favor of the simplicity of the old, non-electronic controls!--nbc
This discussion has been closed.