Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PRESSURE BUILD UP IN HEATING SYSTEM

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
We had a new Weil-McLain CGa gas fired water boiler (forced hot water system) installed in April 2008. We are in the New England areas thus the unit did not operate much until the fall of 2008. We noticed that once the unit was set at a 15 to 19 psi operating level, we have been in a 4 to 6 week cycle in which the hot water pressure in the heating system slowly creeps up over time. The pressure builds up reaching as high as 30 psi. We have had no less than 6 service calls on this and everything around the boiler has been replaced (expansion tank, regulating valves, fill valves, backflow) at least once and we even had a separate system expansion tank installed on our main incoming water line a few weeks ago. Any theories on what might cause this are welcome. Thus far, our installer has tried about everything they can think of and Weil-McLain has only thus far taken guesses as to what might be causing the problem.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Does your boiler do your DHW as well??

Might be a cross connection...

Got pictures?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,872
    Again someone's posting in my name & email

poster should delete forums.invision cookies.
  • roger john
    roger john Member Posts: 2

Leaky tankless coil
  • roger john
    roger john Member Posts: 2

Leaky tankless coil
  • Paul DeLaiarro_2
    Paul DeLaiarro_2 Member Posts: 3
    pressure build up

Is your system a radiator system or baseboard? I have had several of these calls like this, and there are some answers, I just need more info.....
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Pressure

Sounds like from what you posted , not enough expansion tank...

Fire it up from a cold start and watch the pressure if the pressure increases install another or larger expansion tank.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102

David where in the piping is your boiler feed located if it is on suction side of pump every time the pump starts there will be a pressure drop which will make the feeder add water .shut off supply to boiler and watch water pressure
This discussion has been closed.