Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Workboots-OT

so I prefer the black <i>ankle boots</i> with steel toe.<BR>They wear forever, and safety inspectors don`t seem to mind.<BR>What`s your choice?<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

I prefer 6" American made boots (Wolverine or Chippewa) without steel toes as they tend to cut into my toes and I Had the misfortune of seeing one too many pairs needing cut off of folks who over estimated their protection rating. I also like boots with limited tread as when I go in and out of homes the ability to not carry 3 pounds of dirt in on the soles of my boots is appreciated.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Saw a guy one-time

who operated a tow-truck(wrecker) business, had those old plates you locked a chain-in from the truck.
    He went to unload, hooks came-off the vehicle and bounced the plate back, lost all 5.

Dave
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    boots

HERMANS SURVIVERS 'till they went belly up. now back to timberland 6 " tan original model . had a pair of smith ....not bad
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Timberland....

Pro series. Great boots, I'm on my third pair, no break in. Comfortable right otta the box!

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    I have had excellent success

with carhart. After spending big dineros on Red Wing I am real impressed with the carhart line.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    I always

wore Hermans, still have a pair from 1986, with flat soles. I did so much service work between contract jobs that I wanted boots that I could wipe clean rather than have to take them off going in and out of peoples homes.

As for steel toes, I was cutting up a piece of old 2" steel when a hanger let go and the pipe landed on my foot. I was complaining to the doctor that the steel tip was what broke my toe and he said without it all five toes would have been crushed.

We live and learn.

Jack

• TAKE A GUESS WHO MAKES THEM:)
  • Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Boots

Take a close look at where alot of these " American" boots are made at. Made in China is pretty prevalent. My favorite boots are my Desert Combat Boots issued by Uncle Sam. They are steel toed and required no break-in.

Darin
  • Vernon P. James_2
    Vernon P. James_2 Member Posts: 33
    where made

Darin

Not in the service but just curious where are the desert combats actually made. Are they 100% American made or are the 100% assembled in America from components that are made elswhere?
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Workboots

Thorogood USA Made in Merril, Wi
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Magnum work boots, 6" style. Feels like a sneaker, lets your foot breathe, cordura nylon sides, and not as hot as full leather boots. Water proof as well. Most law enforcement, ems and fire wear them, which is where I started wearing them.
  • Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Red Wings

I finally broke down and brought some Red Wing work boots. They're expensive but seem to last twice as long as other boots plus they're very comfortable. Being in a lot of houses they have to have non marking soles as well and waterproof is good. I just brought my 2nd pair(first pair lasted 3 years) which is stock 435 and they seem like they're very good boots so far. Only thing I don't like is they're being made in China now.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Red Wing 964s

Were my favorite boot, but can't keep the soles from seperating. After numerous under warranty returns dealer said I gotta try a different boot. Could not get them to last more than 6 months.

Trying the Irish Setter 844 line which is also made by Red Wing. No break in with either one, and comfortable. The Irish Setter 844's are waterproof also.

Gordy
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    boots

Love how long Chipewwa last and but my bad back like Wolverine durashocks very comfortable on the back
  • Cam_2
    Cam_2 Member Posts: 36
    Hey Darin

I don't think I could make it through the 6-week break-in period that they call, what is it again? Oh yeah BOOT CAMP. You have earned comfortable footwear my friend...

Rick
  • Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Vernon

The ones that I have just say "Made in the USA" with a bunch of different numbers and a UFCW rating? They do have Vibram soles as well.

Darin
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    Red Wing Shoe

Red Wing Shoe company has been full bore in the plants making work boots for the US government, since before the the build up in Iraq. I havent talked to my brother-in-law for a while to see if they are still as busy.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Timberland

Chuka. 6" tan. I get about a year out of them before the toes wear through from kneeling work. I like the smooth tread on them so they don't track mud too much.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Red Wings

I've been wearing Red Wings for about 15 years now. They always fit perfectly and are very comfortable from the moment they come out of the box. I get about 3 years out of a pair. Sad to hear they sent the factory jobs to china, I hope its not completely true.
  • Darrell_4
    Darrell_4 Member Posts: 79

I wear the Wolverine Durashock 8" boot that is insulated. It is also waterproof and the sole doesn't track mud or mark floors. I find the sole to be better on the ice than the Red Wing Vibram sole.
  • an old wrench puller
    an old wrench puller Member Posts: 73
    I wore

Redwings for years. best boots I ever found. I wore the "logger" style and /or the "Lineman". I would still where these boots If someone local would stock them. Everytime I tried to order them, the clerk screwed up the order. Its worse then the PHC biz.

Last shoes I bought were "Carolinas" and "Wolverines" from a local old time shoe repair shop. Both are good shoes but neather are Red Wings.
  • red wings

Red wings are the only boots i will wear! i like the irish setters and can get almost 2 years out of one pair, good thing about them is you can send them out to get resoled and waterprooofd. You get what you pay for.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo G_102
    Leo G_102 Member Posts: 11
    Italian boots

with kevlar instead of steel. About half the weight. Unfortunately, last time I was in Mark's, they no longer stocked them. Something about the price being to high, no one was buying them. Too bad as they are easily the best and most comfortable boot I have ever found!

Leo G
This discussion has been closed.