Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any fly fishers?

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
Good selection. They're made on Bainbridge Isl., a short ferry ride from Seattle. Learning how to cast and allowing the fly to hit the water before the leader takes a little practice. Than setting the hook, without pulling it out of the fish's mouth, is the next trick. It's a rewarding sport. Going on a few guided trips with an expert will really get you 'hooked'. Like anything, the more you do it, the easier it gets.

When I lived in NY, I lived a few miles from the Esopus, and learned from some old-timers. In the NW, I learned how to catch steelhead trout on a wet fly. It's not unusual to see 10-30lb fish. Unfortunately,95% of the steelhead are now hatchery raised. 5% wild native fish population.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I just bought my first pole, a Sage 9' med-fast #5. Reel is Orvis #6. I have classes coming up in a month, but would like to hear your best tip or suggestion. Got a 8'6" #4 for the wife...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Mark Hunt_6
    Mark Hunt_6 Member Posts: 147
    Fly fishing you say?

When I am not fly fishing, I am thinking about fly fishing.

I have a few Sage rods, a SWEEEET 7' 4wt Cortland I came across few years ago but my "go to" rod is a St.Croix 9' 6 wt.

I always looked down at St.Croix, but after test driving, I HAD to have it.

Tie my own flies too. I must have a couple grand in Mustads and Tiemco's alone. Metz hackle company should have a picture of me in their corporate offices.

If you haven't already, pick up John Gierach's "Trout Bum".

Pretty much sums me up.

E-mail some time.

Mark "Coffin Fly" H
  • Timco

Thanks guys...if I don't learn to tie just one correct knot I will just freak out!!! I like the idea of not using the loops and tying fillament to fillament but cannot get the knots down. Second is with new leaders, the line wants to wrap back up like a spring. How do you straighten it??? I can't wait to catch my first with this method...

Tim
  • Mark Hunt_6
    New leaders

Carry a scrap piece of rubber (old inner tube stuff works great) with you.

When you tie the new leader on, pinch the leader between the piece of rubber and pull it (quickly) through. The heat generated by the friction will straighten the leader.

Mark H
  • grumpyplumber_2
    grumpyplumber_2 Member Posts: 19

Rod NOT pole, love my sage, in awe of the hand tiers, barbless hooks please. sounds like PP is a wet head in more ways than heating, MH, I'll watch for the greenie plate- But how will I know its you? Bonesy Sticker?
    Dont see many of these here in Fremont Co, WY (stickers that is.)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Clif Heeney_2
    Clif Heeney_2 Member Posts: 53
    Fishing the Green River

Timco!

You are fairly close to some great fly fishing -- the Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam. Seven miles of really great fishing from the dam to Little Hole. There is a good trail for that section of the river. Lots of good guides out of Vernal (my hometown) and Dutch John that will take you down using dories.

Let us know how you make out!
  • you probably know this, but, blood/barrel knots

i don't fly, but i've been doing these since teenhood. a bit harder with age, finger cordination/eyes, but they've served me well for 45yrs. practice, practice, practice, and with rope if necessary
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    The highest fish/pound per mile in Colorado...

is in my OTHER front yard :-) THe Blue River is one of the best natural fisheries in the world, and for sure the best one in Colorado.

I have fine tuned the are of snapping the fly off the end of my leader when it is behind my head. whip, SNAP, damn....

Practice, practice, practice...

Now give me a bubble and a fly, and a nice clear cool inlet to a reservoir, and look out...

• Cam_2
    Cam_2 Member Posts: 36
    I Play Pocket Pool

I especially love "away games"
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    What Paull Pollets sez

I'm also in the Pacific North (north) West, (Vancouver, BC), and the nice thing is that I have an opportunity to practice my casting all year round (note "casting" not "catching"). I have about 6 fly rods for various purposes - a 4 wt for dry fly trout fishing on rivers and small lakes, a variety of 5 and 6 weights - 2 in a 4-piece configuration for packing in, and a couple regular 2 piece 6 wts. for large river/lake fishing, and my "pool-cue" - a 9 wt., 10 foot Sage that I use during salmon season. Yah gotta have the right rod for the job around here, dontcha know...

I also tie my own flies and I find the whole aspect of fly fishing to be a totally relaxing experience- you HAVE to pick up the knowledge of the natural cycles, bugs, critters, fish etc, and I find for me it's evolved into going for a hike on the river with a fly rod to do a little fishing while I'm communing with nature.

Right now it's cutthroat season and steelhead season, so I ought to be getting out soon again....
  • M grallert
    M grallert Member Posts: 19

I work so I can fish with bamboo fly rods I build myself,for myself and my friends. Stick with it and you might find it a most rewarding personal pursuit.
    Peace
    Matthew
  • GMcD
    Blood Knots

Ask five different fisher people and you'll get a split between triple surgeons knot and a blood knot for tying tippet to leader, or for making your own leaders from monofilament sections. This is the best $7.00 bucks I ever spent:
    http://www.kaufmannsstreamborn.com/Catalog/Accessories/Knot-Tyers/DENBLOODTYR/

A blood knot tying tool. The hatch is on, the trout are rising and you gotta tie on a new piece of tippet or leader, and your hands are shaking, and you are fumbling 6x tippet material riding in your float tube in a hurry....this tool has been a staple in my fishing vest for years (buy a few, you'll want to have spares).
  • Bamboo

I've recently come into a large stand of Bamboo (lengths in excess of 25' & 1.25" at the base). Was thinking along the same lines. Any links to supplies you might have???
  • great idea!

and i think i can understand the operation from the pic
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    split bamboo rods

My brother builds and sells those. Quite an exacting process to plane all those little tapered wedges before they get glued together. But very nice. And not very cheap either if I recall.
  • my in-process strip lath canoe

has very little to do with fly fishing, but it's on the order of making rods, but not as delicate
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Nice....

Now THAT'S a labour of love.

My (deceased) Uncle made one of those. He and my (deceased) father flipped it over and they both almost drowned. Twas a beautiful craft tho....

Make sure you wear a life preserver.

ME

• Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    thanks mark

and def a labor of love. 55hrs so far, and i'll probably finish it soon. and, a neighbor want's one at 1/2 size, not to use, but to hang it from the ceiling in his log home
  • Mark Hunt_6
    Beautiful job

A good friend of mine built a few drift boats using a similar method. Due to the fact that he would be running the boat in shallow water, he added a protective layer to the bottom of the craft. (Don't ask me what it was)

Do you leave the bottom as is, or do you cover it with something to protect against gouging, scratches etc.....?

Mark H
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    thanks mh

the whole thing gets covered in 6oz fg cloth, some doubled areas, and two coats of 2-part epoxy. but no protectors/ stiffeners. i've wondered about oak strips, but none of the books that i have show them being used. and the only down-side that i see would be the marginal extra weight
  • Mark Hunt_6
    FG cloth

Do you cover the inside as well?

Mark H
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    You may

drown wish full thinking that boat.

I forgot to tell you about fishing the Vermilion river.
  • yes, the inside

is also glassed, doubled in areas, and also with 2 coats of epoxy
  • You may drown wish full thinking that boat?

i'm sorry mc, but i'm lost with that statement
  • Timco
    Geoff!!!

I bought 2 and am truly amazed! Thanks for the suggestion. Does one need to use knot seize liquid or is a good blood knot good enough? I am re-tying all my loop connections with these knots, and bought shrink wrap for the flyline to tapered leader connection. I bought a 123, 3, and 4 Orvis CFO reels, and they seem really smooth. Are they considered any good? I have a #5 rod, and am considering a #2 and a #8 to have the 'spectrum'...

Tim
  • GMcD
    Spit

I just lick the monofilament as I pull the ends to tighten the knot. I usually hold the tag ends in my teeth as I release the mono from the little clamps and pull the knot almost tight, then let go of the tag ends, give the knot a lick and pull tight. The only break-offs I've ever had were generally at the clinch knot at the fly. I haven't bought a tapered leader since my first fly rod some 15 years ago, and always tie my own leaders, so a tool like that is indispensible. Practice, practice, practice....
This discussion has been closed.