Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bradford white Products

Options
Tombig_2
Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
I do a lot more boiler and forced air than water heaters and use State from my primary supplier. I'm fairly sure that all State's are built by AO Smith or vice versa. I recently piped hydronic to a couple of Combi-Cor's provided by the plumber...kind of a joke because I had to explain the built in mixing valve to him and why it was there. Not to surprising really in my neck of the woods.

More recently installed a couple 50 gal hi recovery. Their still out there of course. Interesting to see that even on those models there is a side tapping for hydronic heat applications. Contact B-W and find a supplier in your area.

Comments

• Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    They used to be every where

neck and neck with State in my area. Lots of guys felt that they were a better product. About two years ago they disappeared. The two venders who had them switched to state or ao smith. One of them told me it was because they were not getting any support for warranty and tech help. They have some things that state and ao smith do not and I did share the opinion about their quality. What is every one else seeing with them now.
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329
    Options

Two to four years ago while purchasing Laars, moving operations, streamlining product offering and other items, I imagine they were busy and distracted, otherwise still in my opinion one of the best product lines out there.

AO Smith and State certainly are not better in my eyes, just started their transition earlier and got things perhaps settled a bit quicker to go out and buy business from a distracted Bradford White.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    State was bought by AO Smith a while ago. Still branded as

state but AO none the less
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options

I also took a liking to the Bradford White water heaters. The distributors I deal with still carry them. But the price is $100.00 to $125.00 higher than the other companies. I'm good friend with the one store manager he showed me where he pays $3.00 more for a Bradford White then he is selling the A.O. Smith for. I still think they are a higher quality. The question is are the majority of customers in the area willing to pay the price. If they don't sell because other are selling for less the distributors stop handling them.
    PS: I never had and prolems with support. Rich was very helpful when I had questions about getting glass out of a fauset. When as far as breaking a heater to see what color the glass came out.
  • Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248
    Options

I install Bradford White pretty much exclusivley unless I have space constraints and I have to do an exact replacement. I find that they are actually cheaper than A.O Smih and State.
    At least in my area. I do whatever I can to avoid installing a Rheem or Ruud unless it's commercial in which case most of them around here are Ruud and it's easiest to install an exact replacement. I have no problems with warranties from BW. Plus homeowners can not buy them....or at least they are not supposed to be able to.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    BW

WHen the first EF series was brought into our area, they were full of problems. Having designed ans patented a hot surface baffle, I was astonished on their cheap welded copy. Thye had problems with the burners and air switch. We had an agreement with them to retrofit each tank when the client had issues with them. They would supply kits and pay our labour at our cost. It lasted about 1 1/2 years before they quit paying. We dropped BW. We have installed AO SMith for over 1 1/2 years. We have had no issues with the new Cyclones, at all!!! We are now also starting to intall the 100 gal electrics. I visited their plant in SC and research facilities. They DO make a SUPERIOR tank to the others and it is a much cleanner working environment.

BTW State is made at another facility. They have several plants. They also own the chemical company that makes the propiety glass coating.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Nothing but good to say about them.

As an example, We installed a small commercial LP gas model in a nearby dairy barn a month or so ago. The pilot generator didn't put out enough current to operate the main valve consistently. Called tech support at Bradford and they sent a complete new pilot assembly next day UPS at no charge. No paperwork, no warranty form just drop the part in a box and send it. That's how warranty should be handled IMHO. The unit now works like a charm and will crank out 180* water all day long.
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    Solar

Anyone ever use their dual heat exchanger solar storage tanks?
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    I Agree

they are a quality company with quality products. We also use AO Smith and have a great deal more warranty issues with them about 3:1
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options

Out here I can buy Bradford white for the same or less than any other heater. Sticking with none box store units of course. For me it is a matter of who is closest to the job site, Bradford WHite or State. I like that Bradford White is wholesale or no sale.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_11
    Options
    dueling coils

We just installed two of them yesterday. Nice product, but needs a bit of tweaking.
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Options
    tweaking?

What kind of tweaking, Dave? Anything specific?
This discussion has been closed.