Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing Forced Air System

AgentZed
AgentZed Member Posts: 1
Hello,
Just bought a real fixer-upper, 1820s cape with existing forced air (hot water boiler feeding an air exchanger). We want to get rid of all the duct-work and forced air, and are planning to change to a combo of radiant floor and panel radiators. According to the local furnae company, our furnace could easily run a fully hydronic system.
My question is what to do about removing the air exchanger a) is there a secondary market for it? it seems relatively new and clean. b) should I have the furnace guys come and disconnect, or can I simply close the valves servicing the air exchanger and cut and cap the pipes myself? (I have done this basic stuff with success so far). c) when removing the air exchanger, how much should it be dismantled? It is in crawl space now, but I plan to open up a floor, allowing better access. The less dismantled the better??

THANKS!

Comments

• if you don't need the crawl space,

and it isn't against code, let the furnace guys disconnect/drain it and leave it in place
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Unused Ductwork

I guess you're nixing any air conditioning option or you might consider leaving that ductwork in place if it's in decent shape. For that matter if you are going to have a lot of high mass radiant floor heat you might even want to keep that hydronic coil in play for a quick warm up on a cold summer night. Much more responsive. Of course panel rads would do the "quick warm up" better.
    Just my two cents.

Tom G
This discussion has been closed.