Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aboveground fuel tank disposal

Options
Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Tesla
    Tesla Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Disposal of above ground tanks

I have a neighbor whom changed out a 275 OST, needless to say this individual installed the tank directly infront of the electric meter.
    Although the meter issue is a direct violation, the disposal of the old tank is of my concern.
    The old 275 which was a vertical, now lays horizontal in his yard for 7 months, no cutting or plugging any of the tapped inlets.

Suffolk County, New York - does anyone here have direct links to any codes regarding the proper disposal of a 275 tank.

New York State Fire Code:3404.2.13.1 (old NY CRR 1164.5) only applies to UST

There are other codes that only state to cap off openings and allow for pressure venting. There's has to be something that prohibits just draging this tank and dumping it into the yard.

BTW-I've contacted the NYSDEC, waiting for an answer.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    tank

I don't think anyone here is going to touch this with a 10 foot pole. Sounds like a disgruntled neighbor thing. We give advice, or share what we know. peace
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    For sale....

One ten foot pole.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    offer to haul it

to the scrap yard for him? you'll get gas money and be rid of the eyesore
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Don't touch it....

I would guess the main reason that tank is sitting there is because of the disposal problem. Where I live the tank has to be cut up and any oily waste cleaned before anyone accepts it for scrap.

Mike

• Suffolk County

A few months ago you could call any scrappie to pick it up . Price for scrap has fallen quite a bit .

There should be nuisance laws on the books .... like keeping the yard clean , grass cut , etc . I'm sure this would fall in that category , at the least .
This discussion has been closed.