Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

any tricks

John_224
John_224 Member Posts: 4
any tricks for finding a small leak in a slab? I've got radiant tube in a slab with a small leak on the air test after the pour. I'm sure I'm going to go crazy looking for it, I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    leak

Hey Joe, in Dan's book "Hydronic Radiant Heating" he tells a couple off stories about how they used to look for leaks, place a cat on the floor, he or she will always go to the warmer spot, and try mopping the floor while the system is on line, the leak will show up as a blotch, might be worth a shot, or a stethascope. Check for leaks under any saw cut control joints
  • Manifold connections?

Soap up all your manifold fittings and make sure it isn't right there. With Wirsbo/Uponor (anyways) you can damage the O rings if you don't lube them before assembly. They will leak small just like you're talking. I've learned to use "plumber's grease" before assembly. Soap all the other extraneous fittings on the manifold as well, including your test gauge connections.
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    What?

Do I even want to know where you got this "plumber's grease"?

Mike Dunn
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    if you can fined an infrared camera

they work great and almost instantly. It will also show you where all the loops are.

If you go to the Flir website they have rental cameras, or can maybe send you to someone in your area that has one.

I see more and more home inspection companies useing infrared cameras, check with the ones in your area.

Many electric utilities use them also for maintenance on lines and transformers. A local utility sends them out for 100/hr with an operator.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kpc_71
    kpc_71 Member Posts: 5
    any supplyhouse....

should have that. It is used to put old stlye compression faucets together on the stems. Silicone grease works well too.
  • I'd tell you,,,

but you probably don't want to know. LOL...

(What kpc said)
  • Jeremy_14
    Jeremy_14 Member Posts: 34
    leak

You might not have a leak under the slab. I have installed a number slab radiant systems where I go back weeks later and find the air pressue has dropped or is at 0 psi. A water pressure test has confirmed every time except once that the leak was somewhere around the radiant manifold.
This discussion has been closed.