Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

nyc master plumber

bovide_4
bovide_4 Member Posts: 161
are you going for your NYC LMP test? I passed mine in 2000, first time on all 3 exams. Email me if I can be of any help. Maybe I can retrieve my 3/4" custom black nipple sets...

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    master plumber

does anyone know any good books to read to get a plumbing license in new york city?
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • to know steam heat..

In illinois... there's nothing about heating system in state's book.. But for increase knowledge.. Get Dan's books from this site and you'll be better than most plumbers and inspectors...
  • heatguy
    heatguy Member Posts: 102

start with your state code book and get the illustrated version if they offer one.in nj there are courses designed to teach you what you need to know to pass test. best of luck
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Unfortunately,

I know of no books for the test. Nearly everyone who passes it takes a class with Emanuel Troise.
    http://www.troise.com/

That's what I did.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    I went to

I went to Dan Agius for the classes and found him to be an excellent teacher and a great help in getting through the whole process.I also know a few guys that took Manny's classes and have heard only good things about him too.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    nyc lic. plbr.

arco books has a prep book available. also if you work in the trade mechanics institute in manhattan is the foremost plumbing school in the world . i went there over forty years ago & it absolutely paid off big time. and it is free. i also took a course years ago similiar to manny troice's and i passed the masters test with no effort. but that was when lead wiping was mandatory. you get a pass on that one. be prepared to empty your savings acct. lol it ain't cheap. e-mail me if you are seriously interested & desire more details.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    manny troise is the NYC test what dan is

To steam heat knowledge. The king. I will be studying with Manny this summer. If you want to pass the first time, your best shot is with Manny. I've taken other plumbing civil service exams after taking mannys classes, studied very hard and scored in the mid 90s twice. I wouldn't think twice about taking the exam w/out taking his course. Mad dog

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,243

You have no idea how important those nipple sets are!

Those custom seamless nipples are a must and getting hard to find... and don't forget those flat-faced copper couplings.

Prepare to spend perhaps $8,00 - $10,000 for your education and all the supplies you'll need for the test. And make sure all your paperwork is in order. If the City tanks you because it can't verify former employment experience, you'll spend years in court with them.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    Thanks, men.....

Getting lead wiping materials was very difficult too even 10 years ago, but if you hunt hard enough.....When I started in the biz...22 years ago, within 1 week of my apprenticeship I knew, I wanted a NYC license and my own business. I paid close attention to those who had "made it" and those who had not. I met many a great plumber that worked for years!!!!! off the books, and then when they decided they wanted a license....it was a BIG smack in the face. I was always aware of that and always filed a W-2. That should be the least of my hurdles. Looking foward to this. I'm sure a Master Plumbing License in ANY of the large, old cities is rough, but I think NYC might be the hardest based on people I know who have taken the others....we'll see...I take this VERY seriously and am training to fight the heavyweight champ. Mad Dog

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

I have a copy of Starbucks NYC plumbing code book in my archives. Nopthing wrong with a hard test for a license, I have seen too many states where the difference between master and journey man license was the filing fee.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    stiff test.

i agree charlie. the harder the better . it keeps out the riff-raff. in order to succeed , you must have the desire. taking that test was possibly the hardest , most stressful day of my life. the written was a breeze for me. could have passed it in my sleep. PREPARATION is the key.
This discussion has been closed.