Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra EO2 Errors

Hey All,

My father in law and I both have Ultra boilers in our houses. his, however, is in his superinsulated house, with a very low temperature radiant load.

His exhaust is facing a bay as well. I don't think it's terribly windy, but the wind may be on the exhaust side of the house.

He was getting a lot of E02 lockouts which we determined initially was condensation forming in the combustion chamber, causing the flame not to 'prove'. We had the installer raise the minimum fan speed and caused it to fire a bit more aggressively on startup and those largely went away.

However, he still has periodic E02 lockouts... one every few months or so. It's annoying, of course. Has anyone else seen this and/or fixed it?

Comments

• kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    Which model....

In the 155 series I had an issue w/ the bolts and the combustion chamber metal "refractory " loosening up because tye tabs were not locked in. tighened up. problem solved..

• Interesting. We're using the Ultra 80
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    How clean

is it? If the ignoghter is not clean that will do the e02 thing....
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    oh yeah

Is it concentric or 2-pipe ?

I've found that under certain circumstances, 2-pipe is the answer. Get 2+ feet of vertical separation between the intake/exhaust and you should be good.

Recirculation occurs at low fire and condensation collects in the bottom of the flameholder, right above the ignitor/sensor. If it can't clear it in 5 tries, bam E02.

• I'll have to have it checked, thanks for the idea kpc

• I think we'll try this too! thanks Tony.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    I expeienced

this problem in real cold weather -28 and lower. Adjusting the fan speed did not help. However, installing a 3 x 2 bushing in the intake terminal seemed to solve the nuisance lockout. It also cured the "Canada Goose" on start up.

• interesting, at the intake from the outdoors, or the intake at the boiler?
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    At the outdoor terminal

Seems to work best on a 2 pipe gooseneck termination.
    Also experimented with reducing couplings on the exhaust termination to increase velocity and force the exhaust further away from the wall. Success was limited but it did reduce the build up of hoar frost on the wall which in real cold weather was 2 feet thick!
  • Sparchead
    Sparchead Member Posts: 1
    Intake 3x2 Reducer Coupling

I'm having similar E-02 issues as you posted on 3/13/09 with a WM155. Everything else seems in order, but I'm intrigued by the solution you posed in your post. Two questions:

1) Just to confirm, to resolve your nuisance E-02 issue, you simply slipped on a 3"x2" PVC reducer on the intake pipe on the exterior of the house, correct?

2) How did you ascertain that moisture was building up in the combustion chamber?