Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repipe?

Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
Thanks clammy,Iguess I explained the system properly and you understood my description of it, Thanks again.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Repipe or not?

On a steam boiler one riser has 3 ells as a swing joint, the second riser goes straight up out of the boiloer and into the bottom of the header.Should this system be re-piped? Thanks.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    if i understand

Techman if i understand your explanation of the header you have described it would seem that only one riser has a swing joint on it(the one with 2 3inch ells)and the other is just piped straight up into the header i would have to say yes tothe repipe ,the reason being is that you really don,t have any where on the second riser for the expansion and contraction of the header to take place it may not be a large issue but over time it may cause promblems mostly to the boiler push nipples or o rings and casting by the fact that any stress produced by the system heating and cooling would be taking place at the boiler instead of where it should be taking place which is at the swing joints which take all that stress instead of at the boiler tappings .I hope my explanation was not to confussing .All this is even more inportant espically when you have a welded risers and header piping it may take 10 years but it will sooner or later cause premature casting and or section failure .The reason i say this is i have seen it first hand more then several times ,hope i helped peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

This discussion has been closed.