Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

To Plackard or not?

what are you trying to say techman?Thats you feel like you do not have enough regulation now taking all your hard earn money.

Lets see, I just got hitt up for another 20 dollar assessment for contractor transaction recovery fund.

Any time the funds dip below 400.000 dollars people like us have to pay.I can choose to pay it or have more fees tack on or even have my license suspened if i choose not too.

Please..be careful of what you wish for.Personally, I'm trying to hang on to some of the money I work so hard for.


  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    To Plackard or not?

    Hi All!Does anyone know the requirements for having to put safety plackards on our service vehicles?I carry oxy/acetelyn/mapp gas/nitrogen/6 freons/ refrig oils/WD 40/and a few others.Thanks!
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458

    Depending on state regs, no. You do not have enough quantity, I hope, on van to require placards. unless you are carring multiple large tanks, you should be fine. if you placard, you will need to get commercial driver's license with a haz mat endorsement.
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
    Materials of trade exceptions

    This might apply to your case:

    Title 49: Transportation
    Subpart A—General

    § 173.6 Materials of trade exceptions.

    When transported by motor vehicle in conformance with this section, a material of trade (see §171.8 of this subchapter) is not subject to any other requirements of this subchapter besides those set forth or referenced in this section.

    (a) Materials and amounts. A material of trade is limited to the following:

    (1) A Class 3, 8, 9, Division 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, 6.1, or ORM-D material contained in a packaging having a gross mass or capacity not over—

    - snip -

    (ii) 30 kg (66 pounds) or 30 L (8 gallons) for a Packing Group II, Packing Group III, or ORM-D material;

    - snip -

    (2) A Division 2.1 or 2.2 material in a cylinder with a gross weight not over 100 kg (220 pounds), or a permanently mounted tank manufactured to the ASME Code of not more than 70 gallon water capacity for a non-liquefied Division 2.2 material with no subsidiary hazard.

    - snip -

    (3) A DOT specification cylinder (except DOT specification 39) must be marked and labeled as prescribed in this subchapter. Each DOT-39 cylinder must display the markings specified in 178.65(i).

    - snip -

    (d) Aggregate gross weight. Except for a material of trade authorized by paragraph (a)(1)(iii) of this section, the aggregate gross weight of all materials of trade on a motor vehicle may not exceed 200 kg (440 pounds).

    - snip to end -

    From Part 173.115:

    Division 2.1 = flammable gases, Division 2.2 = non-flammable, non-poisonous gases. Division 2.3 would be poisonous gases (e.g. anhydrous ammonia). A DOT-39 cylinder is a non refillable, single use cylinder (e.g. disposable propane cyl's)

    Much of the other stuff may be "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Materials-Domestic) or a "Consumer Commodity". See Part 171.8

    From all this appears that, in the US, within certain quantity limits, etc., etc., transport for trade might not have to placard. For more exciting(?!?) reading see:


    Particularly: Title 49: Transportation.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144

    I like peace and quiet and NO PENALITIES.Here in N.Y. any commercial vehicial over 10,000 GVW MUST pull into any roadside inspection stop by State or County Police. So I was wondering about the plackards on our service trucks,that's all.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    looks like...

    the Materials of Trade Exception may apply.
  • Todd S_12
    Todd S_12 Member Posts: 1

    You may want to check with your insurance carrier. We used Federated when we were in business and they were very proactive with assisting us with questions such as this. We had oil service vans carrying misc haz materials in small quatities - cans of refrigerent, WD, Degreasers, Waste Oil from filters and nozzles. We didn't plackard the vans (just the oil tanker trucks), but we did carry msds and bill of lading taped to the inside drivers door. We never ran into a problem. You may also try your local trade group like NAOHSM, ACCA, Master Plumbers Assoc etc.
This discussion has been closed.