Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This Old House

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
One of these days were gonna see Johnny NY and Gateway Plumbing on that show. The have renovated many a beautiful brownstone. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Stirling Boston
    Stirling Boston Member Posts: 33
    This Old House

The Brooklyn Bownstone episode that will feature Randy and Erik Gitli of Aladin Plumbing installing 2 KNIGHT Boilers will begin airing this week!

Here is a link that will let you look up the specific time and date in your area:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/info/0,,20058777,00.html

There are also some nice photos of the mechanical room here: http://www.lochinvar.com/news.aspx?mode=singleArticle&articleID=145

Great work guys!

Stirling

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bill from Buffalo
    Bill from Buffalo Member Posts: 4
    Nice job!

glad we don't have to see richard trethewey stumbling and fumbling his way through the boiler room. he needs to buy a couple of dan's books and then quit tv. he literally sucks the air out of the room when he shows up. what a bore. I vote mark eatherton to replace him immediately! who's with me?

imho
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    Do you really think he's that bad........????????

I haven't seen the show in a long time. Hey, he was in the right place at the right time and he shows up for work. He seems like a really nice guy and more than knowledgable. Mark Eatherton is brilliant and a friend, but I think he's happy in his new job. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Plumbers Bashing Plumbers

Don't we have enough people bashing us as it is, without us bashing each other. I think it is one of the biggest things that separates us from lawyers and real estate agents, and the money they make. They always back each other up and stick together, so people put them up on a pedestal. A lot of plumbers come in and tell you how bad the last guy was, this keeps happening over and over and we all look like a bunch of idiots. Many people also look at the basher as an idiot too.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Amen to that!

Richard has done more for the industry than anyone else I know and he's a very likable fellow if you ever get the chance to meet him. He's just as (im)perfect as you & I are(G). Most homeowners didn't know radiant existed till Richard began promoting it on TOH. Cheap shots are best left to ones found in a bar!
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Well said Dave:

"Cheap shots are best left to ones found in a bar!"

And they get what they paid for.

It's interesting to see some of the I'm better than the next guy quotes in some threads and then the bandwagon grows and grows about who is better and who does more and who the "bums" are. Not surprising some manufacturers have left and some of the pros who have given great advice, along with humor.

I look forward to Dan's new site and see what changes that will bring and if some people come back.

Jack
  • and

the hangover doesn't last as long or cause as much pain.
  • and

the hangover doesn't last as long or cause as much pain.
  • jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    Although,

they will double post at times.

LOL
  • hic

up! Seems like a shot of Mad Dog 20/20 is warranted.
  • s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    TOH

Agreed!! Richard is very likable, great sense of humor and a wealth of information. There'd be far less wetheads if not for his enthusiasm with radiant & modern hydronics.
    It was truly a pleasure working with him on the New York project.
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29

I worked with Richard on a project for Ask This Old House.

They had an apartment dweller contact them who’s apartment was overheating. She was on the 5th floor with 1 pipe steam and the only way she knew to cool the room down in the winter was to open the window.

Richard and I spoke on the phone quite a bit for about 1 week before he went on site to shoot the episode. He wanted to make sure that he had his facts right, and knew how to explain how a TRV works on an 1 pipe steam system.

Now, here’s the part I would challenge any of you to do. Explain it to people that have no idea what a boiler is or how steam heat works. He has to keep it simple. Remember, most of you here on The Wall know more than the average bear. Oh yeah, do all of this in less than 5 minutes. Now, it’s not as easy as it looks.

I remember the first time I saw a radiant heat system. It was on TOH in 1984. They were redoing a barn. They had a great room with a very high ceiling. This is what got the passion for radiant heating in me flowing.

bb

• klaus
    klaus Member Posts: 183

If your talking about the Concord Barn Project, that was Steve Thomas first season which was 89-90. Actually it was not the first time you saw Radiant on TOH. They did radiant baseboard and PEX in the last season with Bob Vila on the Bed and Breakfast house, which oddly enough was the first job Tom Silva worked on, but not his first appearance on the show (a real fan of the show would know that Tom appeared the season before to show a recently renovated kitchen). The season before that was the 1700's farm house that was a total mess, and I think the homeowner ended up suing the show over the budget overruns. They did Radiant floor in that extension as well with plywood strips and plates.

You have to give richard credit for exposing the newest technologies, such as mod-cons and radiant.

And Yes, I watch too much TV, godd bless my Tivo.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    I'm very flattered, but.... Ain't NO way...

that the right reverend RIchard could EVER be replaced. The man is almost single handedly responsible for reviving the radiant revolution.

Between him and the Chiles Bros, they have brought radiant floor heating to the forefront of every American living room. I just wish the CHiles Bros had chosen some other material except rubber for their ventures, and I often wonder what we'd be doing today if Sir RIchard had shown up with a roll of PEX on his shoulder and said" We're going to be doing radiant CEILINGS today..." I wouldn't mind doing a segment with him some day, but he deserves the role he has. He's been working it for a LONG time.

Long live the king...

From Down Town Saddle Brook NJ...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• John Mills_4
    John Mills_4 Member Posts: 43
    how many?

2 boilers? But there are 2 apartments plus the owner's suite. Anybody know how the 2 boilers are divided between the 3 spaces?

No mention of cooling? NYC gets pretty steamy in the summer. I wouldn't pay $2500 a month rent for a top floor apartment in a sauna! (couldn't afford that even if it was air conditioned )
  • s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    This Old House

The top floor apartment is heated by the owners equipment. They hope to reclaim that space a few years down the road when their kids are older. The grd. floor will always remain as a rental unit.
    I'm still surprised that they opted not to do central AC. They certainly had the resources; just not the budget. They'll rely on windows units when they begin to melt!
  • window AC units

Haier has the only Energy Star listed R-410a unit & its efficiency is rated at 12-EER (SEER ratings are 14% to 20% higher on average compared to EER ratings). They also have models that incorporate UV filtration.

All the others listed on Energy Star continue to offer only R-22.

Very quiet too. Auto sweep etc...
  • Let me say to all of you

who know a lot about many things. Let me stick a TV camera in your face and see how well you perform.

Richard is the right guy for the job because he is just laid back enough to not get up tight. It is very hard to verbally explain while also doing the task. You know "Show and Tell".
  • heatboy_24
    heatboy_24 Member Posts: 6
    Having had the fun of.......

...... being on a TV show, I know how difficult it is. You spend hours on set up and rehersal for 5 minutes of actual face time to get your point across. With the very limited time Richard gets on a show, I think he does a great job of showing folks what can be had.
This discussion has been closed.