Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Hot water heater added to exisiting oil burner

Maine Ken
Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
What is your oil supply set-up? Overhead lines? single vs. two pipe? separate supply lines? or did the installer just tee into the existing line?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=346&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Carl_27
    Carl_27 Member Posts: 3
    Oil hot water heater added to existing oil burner

Let me start by saying I am customer and not a technican. I recently ( 2 days ago ) had a oil hot water heater added to my oil burner during the process the coil was abandoned because I just couldn't get hot water.

A bradford /white oil hot water heater was added by the contractor that I hired to do the job and it actually increased water pressure in the house.
    The problem is the oil hot water heater will run for a bit and shutdown and can't be restarted because air gets into the lines ( according to contractor) he's come back several times but basically I am in the same boat after he leaves.
    Has anyone heard of this issue before and can anyone offer me advice on how to deal with the issue? I feel that the contractor while know plumbing has never dealt with this issue before.

Regards,

Carl
  • Carl_27

There are two lines that came from the outside from an underground oil tank in the orginal oil burner and yes he T'ed off of one of those lines. Those lines run along floor and the oil hot water heater is slightly higher on platform then the burner.

BTW I am willing to take photos if requested.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

I believe you need to get someone in there that knows how to deal with an underground tank and two pipe system. There are many ways to do it. The one you describe is far from the best.

I highly recommend the Find A Pro section of this site.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

He should have T'ed off both the lines and set up the new oil burner as a two pipe like the first. There is a tiny allen screw in the bag with the oil pump instructions (all likely now in the trash, but maybe still hung on the oil pump), which must be installed in the oil pump to convert it to two pipe operation. If the run to the tank is long the pipe size may need to get larger as well.
  • Carl_27

Interesting. I emailed the contractor with a link to site hopefully he can add something that I haven't.

I am kind of upset now and I am wondering if I made a mistake in getting an oil hot water heater to begin with instead of electric.

Basically I got into the issue because of water flow and coil issues and this opened a whole other problem.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    hot water heater

Why didn't he install an indirect? sounds like you have a boiler. Gun fired heaters are only needed if you had a warm air furnace. You should get an oil tech, plumbers shouldn't be workin on oil, unless they are licensed and qualified
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    new burner

Most localities require a permit and inspection whenever you add to or alter an oil burner system.this generally requires combustion testing of the unit, and making sure all code requirements are met.It is in your best interest to make sure a permit and inspection are done. No permit usually = Hack.Does your oil burner emergency switch shut off the water heater? thermal switch, service switch ,firomatic valve on oil line ,vacuum relief ,t&p valve? How about a picture.
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    new burner

Most localities require a permit and inspection whenever you add to or alter an oil burner system.this generally requires combustion testing of the unit, and making sure all code requirements are met.It is in your best interest to make sure a permit and inspection are done. No permit usually = Hack.Does your oil burner emergency switch shut off the water heater? thermal switch, service switch ,firomatic valve on oil line ,vacuum relief ,t&p valve? How about a picture.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    convert to single pipe

Carl if your installer is familar with oil fired equiptment then it should not be to hard,have him convert your 2 pipe oil system to a single pipe (remenber to have him remove the oil pumps by pass plug)Have insatll a tigerloop for each burner and also use stainless steel flexable lines from the tigerloops to the burners .I really perferr tigerloops to 2 pipe systems because you will re circ alot less oil just what your burnering and if your tank is old then in all probalablity your filter won't get as clogged as quickly and tiger loop give you isolation between 2 burners fighting each other because there pulling from the same oil line .Also each oil supply to each burner should have there own oil filter.If the added cost is to much maybe he shouuld check the vacume on the oil supply and maybe back blow it and hand pump it to ensure the line is unrestricted.In reality you would have been much better off with a indirect you would use less fuel then with the oil fired tank i know this because i have removed oil fired tanks and installed indirects and every HO has stated less oil burned and 1 less piece of equiptment to have serviced and cleaned peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

This discussion has been closed.