Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IntelliCon®-HW+

Bob Forand
Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
Those cycles are for now, as the weather gets warmer and warmer the cycles will extend even further. That is what makes them work so well. The water at 140, is will heat the space as well as 180.

Comments

• gary_28
    gary_28 Member Posts: 35
    does it work

my heating company is offering to add a IntelliCon®-HW+ to my heating system for $600 promising me a 10-20% fuel savings each year. does anyone know anything about this and does it work?
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Intellidyne heat manager

$600 sounds over the top to me. I have one I installed myself for a fraction of that and its easy to do. For that price I would go with an outdoor reset control.
    Mike
  • gary_28
    gary_28 Member Posts: 35

does it really work? savings of 10-20%?
  • Mike C._4
    It depends

Basically the units work by using the residual heat in the boiler. If the boiler is hot when a zone calls for heat, it will delay the burner on until the heat is used up. It will depend on the rate of heat being used as to when it lets the burner come on but it usually by 140 deg decreasing. The idea is to have fewer longer more efficient burn cycles rather than many ineffcient short cycles. It does work but savings will depend on your system. It works best with a higher mass boiler that has more residual heat stored but also the load mass can make a difference.

• Mike, why wouldn't it be cheaper to install it yourself? I would hope so. I don't think that $600 is alot when you consider parts, labor, and warranty. The car dealer wanted $400 to replace a $20 door handle on my wife's car. I had a feeling they were going to charge me more than what I could buy the part for.
  • Mike C._4
    Installation

I know it is cheaper to install yourself and that most people wouldn't have the capability though it is a simple install. I think a fair price for parts and labor is in order for both sides. However, I think for $600 and up I would be looking at ODR. I would have to base any savings claimed on each particular situation. BTW- I just got hit with a huge car repair bill for some simple work such as yours. It's not a good feeling.

Mike

• HydroAirJoe
    HydroAirJoe Member Posts: 27

I have a service contract with my heating oil supplier and they will install the Beckett Heat Manager for free provided I remain a customer. If I leave the company before 2 years after installation, I am liable for $600.
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    Mike C

Mike C., do you understand all that the control can offer ? Do you know how each of the parameters, that need to be set, effect your heating system? I only ask, because there is alot more to it than just " hooking it up ".

Around here we have a company that sold them direct to homeowners for a great price. Many of them hooked up their own, and now I get to charge to set them up properly for them. And I charge the same as if I was installing the unit myself. I don't know that it is cheaper, and I don't have to warranty anything.

To answer the original poster, I believe in these controls. I have installed many of these, and my customers have seen great return. The most significant one is an oil boiler that has seen 28% to date. It will even be better now that we are on the other side of the extreme cold. I have a lp boiler that is showing 26%. I offer my customers a reduced rate on a boiler cleaning while I am there. I have had success with these controls.
  • maine rick
    maine rick Member Posts: 107
    tested one on my boiler

i've been doing this work for the past 15 yrs., so i'm not a rookie in the trade.
    i put one on my boiler to test it out. this is what i found happening with my system.when my boiler temp is 180 circ. would run on what i call a normal cycle,burner would not fire. next circ. cycle would run longer with the boiler temp. as low as 140.next circ. cycle the burner would fire and then all would repeat.if a house is sized up for baseboard correctly it would be based on the water temp to be at 180 not 140.
    now this is only based on my own boiler,house,baseboard.not every house is the same.if a costumer ask's me about them i let them know how it work for me. if they want it i will put one in for them,but i do not push them,sorry.
    hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.