Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Labor of love and........

Options
Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
Tell us more. Is it tied to storage? Is it a gasifying boiler? How's it piped? I assume the smoke we're seeing is just on start up if it is a gasifier.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• freedom from Oil Barons
  • Tarm gasifier

Yes it is, not tied to storage as of now, that is next phase along with a radiant floor loop. Smoke only on start up, then nothing but heat waves coming out of the chimney when gasifing. Will post more pics later. Piping is boiler loop with taco twin tees feeding the water to air HX in the furnace plenum.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Got it....

So, YOU are being "short cycled". Once you get storage, you can load that puppy up, and let 'er fly.

We did one of those for a local day camp for the Salvation Army up by Estes Park here in Colorado. We knocked their expenditures for propane by 60%. And that was BEFORE they started using the Tarm (Knight LP boiler displacing grossly oversized, short cycling copper fin tube boiler).

Once they start focusing on using the Tarm, they can probably displace 100% of their propane bill.

Congratulations!

ME

• Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Mark

Do you know what they were burning for wood in the Tarm? When the wife and I were up in Estes Park it did not look there was alot of hardwood around.

Darin
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    All Lodge Pole pine...

Unfortunately, mother nature unleashed the Japanese Pine Bark beetle on our forests, and they have a BUNCH of dead standing, cured firewood available, and LOTS of free labor...

At present, the set up is only doing DHW and space heating for the facilities dinner hall, but future expansion to heat their outlying cabins is on the drawing board.

ME

• Maltimore/Maine Doug
    Options
    What is the fitting

on what I assume is the primary loop in picture 1282- a closely spaced T in one piece?
  • Fitting

Yes Doug that is a Taco Twin tee that takes the place of two closely spaced tees in a P/S piping set up. Internally there is a baffle between the two take offs.
  • Maltimore/Maine Doug
    Options
    Nice. it eliminates

two sweats and takes less space and looks good.
  • Piping Pictures

Some pictures of the piping!
  • Pictures of piping

• Pictures of pipings

• More pictures of piping

• More pictures of piping

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    new yorker coal/wood boiler

that i picked up at an 'estate' sale; installed but never used, $650.
    but most people in these red necks of the woods use outdoor wood boilers, they're everywhere, and they burn just about anything; pallets, whatever
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    way slick! and here's a new yorker coal/wood boiler

that i picked up at an 'estate' sale; installed but never used, $450.
    but most people in these red necks of the woods use outdoor wood boilers, they're everywhere, and they burn just about anything; pallets, stumps whatever. no indoor mess
  • Tarm gasifier

Its in Roxbury CT
  • Jeremy_14
    Jeremy_14 Member Posts: 34
    Options

I like those split ring hangers you used, really locks things in strait. Nice work.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    valve

Hey Ernie, what kind of valve is that by the pump? looks like a 1" 3-way mixing or dirverting valve, Very clean work Ernie
  • Valve

Mickey the valve at the pump by the boiler is a dirverter valve, the water reaches 162*F than it opens fully to let the water out into the system. Its similar to a auto valve that lets your engine heat up before sending it to the radiator to cool on a cold winter day. There is a fair slug of water in the 1 1/4" boiler loop, which is about 140'+- round trip from boiler to HX at the furnace and back.
This discussion has been closed.