Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Powder coating rads

Options
scrook_3
scrook_3 Member Posts: 66
Metallic paints (silver, gold, bronze, etc. colors) will decrease, not increase, the output slightly due to their lower emissivity, therefore lower radiation heat transfer. Note highly polished metal surfaces also will have lower radiation heat transfer than dull metallic surfaces.

Non metallic paints, regardless of color, should have no effect.

See also:

Radiator Painting: http://www.heatinghelp.com/newPages/pdf/32_57_101.pdf

Radiator Colors: http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/64.pdf

Comments

• tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Options
    I've read this here before, but.....

I was wondering just how much difference I'll notice(if any) in the output of a sunrad thats just been powder coated. Its going into a bathroom wall and I didnt want any problems with peeling paint or rust ect... Do the BTU's change enough for me to be concerned? And, in the future, do I need to be concerned if/when I do it to my others about cutting into the heat output of each. A link to a similar thread will suffice. Thanks in advance.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,805
    Options
    Metalic Paint

If a metalic paint is used the output will increase. If the other radiators are not painted in metalic the balance will not change between them. There is a link on this site about a old governent study ...

Power coating is the way to go in my book...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,805
    Options
    Yep

Thanks for the correction..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tommyoil
    Options
    scrook

Thanks for the link
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    powder coating rads

Tommyoil, had all 13 rads in my house powder coated. Absolute beauty and I didn't notice a degree of BTU output difference. Heat output is awesome. You're moving in the right direction. I'm on the isle of long NY and found a guy in Bohemia. What's your 10?

best regards, Mark Z
  • tommyoil
    Options
    Here

I found a guy through our fleet mechanic. I'm in NJ and my guy is in Manchester. I dropped it off on Monday morning and it was done by Wednesday. He had some some real beauties there. He had 8 that he had just finished. They were done in classic silver and being shipped somewhere else to have the scroll work gold leafed. I would have liked to see them when they were done. I'll shut down and dump my system this spring and finish the rest. Its forever once its done.
  • Mark Z_2
    Options
    powder coating rads

TO, silver w/ gold leaf WOW! that must so hot/vintage. Had my done in gloss white. A touch boring compared to ones you discribed, but fits the decore (white trim throughout home) but they do look awesome and every detal on them is visible/readable. Best thing is that I'll never have to touch them again and that the cash deal I cut included pick up and delivery. Nothing like humping a 50 sqEDR rad. Oh what joy. Good luck w/ your summer project.

best regards, Mark Z
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,103
    Options
    ooooooooohhhhhhhh Bohemia???????

Never heard of this guy...does he sand blast too? I would be VERY interested to have that info my friend. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Z_2
    Options
    powder coated rads

Mad Dog, guys' name is Pat and company is Dynacoat. They're located on Church st. just west of Broadway in Bohemia. Stone's throw from Donaldson's and same exit off Sunrise. He does pwd coating for the military, excellent work and he's a supper great guy. Tell him Mark from Sayville recommended him. It was only last fall when I had the balance of my rads re-done so he'll remember, Let me know if you have any issues getting ahold of him.

best regards, Mark Z
This discussion has been closed.