Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furniture & Humidity

Options
Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
I recentley had a Humidafier put in .I have the control set in auto setting. I have noticed this past winter that the humidity in the house went down to 28% on the control on the very cold days.I also noticed some of the wood work in my house started to show some cracks. For the safty of my house and furniture what should the humidity level be. Any help would be helpful thanks :>

Comments

• Humidity levels

The target levels for home humidity are between 40% and 60%. Below 40, static electricity, dry nose & throat and cupping and cracking of wood trim & floors may occur. Above 60 %, condensation may ruin windowsills, soak insulation or promote other damage. What type of humidifier is it... bypass, fan, steam, spray or disc? What type of control? Your humidifier may be undersized, or you may have a lot of outside air infiltrating your house. A little more info may be helpful.
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Auto will control

Hello,

The auto setting will control your humidity level. As the temp. gets colder outside the control will lower the humidity level inside.

Take the control off auto and set to 40%. If you start to condense on the windows, set it lower.

Good luck.

Don in MO
  • don_205
    don_205 Member Posts: 66
    Options
    humidifider sizing.

Inorder to size a humidifider one would need to know the number of times per hour or per day that the cubic feet of air is change or replace with other air.

Without a blower door test to get these numbers all other things would just be a guess.

I find even the smallest capacity steam humidifider will do a better job on any heating system be it, heatpump or fossil
    fuel system then a water panel humidifider.

What I'm trying to say is the steam humidifider is alittle more forgiven with the guessing game.

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Bill

Hi Bill, It is steam, It says EWC on the Humidifier. The controll is on the wall next to the Thermostat.It is a EWC also. Thanks
  • Humidifier

Steam humidifiers usually are better at keeping the humdity near the setpoint. They don't need a call for heat to work, and with your sensor up in the occupied space, you should be getting close to the setpoint. Don is right about the blower door test to determine your infiltration rates and many other things. It pays to have this test done, and a lot of the things it reveals are basic projects to seal up that you can do yourself. Find a contractor on this website, or in your local area, also, some utilities do this test as well.
This discussion has been closed.