Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how is the work load in your neck of the woods?

Options
JK_3
JK_3 Member Posts: 240
Like JohnNY we too are in the same boat. We stayed very busy untill 3 weeks ago then I was begining to think the world went into hibernation.Now doing lots of calling on older proposals trying to keep going.Life is good !!!! just not always easy.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=417&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• glgto
    glgto Member Posts: 5
    Options
    work loads

I was wondering how things are going for everyone else in this economy. The service biz is pretty resession proof but for the first time in my 22 yrs in the feild we had to ask guys who wanted to take a lay off! we have 3 out right now and the phone is not ringing more than 2-3 times a day. We do have more manpower than we ever did and were swamped up to this month. Once we caught up (and we have never been caught up) we went dead. I think alot of it has to do with being between seasons right now and there is work coming up in a week or so but am I a lone wolf here or are you guys seeing the same trend? We are in southern PA.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    I cover NYC and much of north Jersey and...

...we're telling the same story nearly to the letter.

Things will pick up.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

By listing as home repair I have taken many calls lately for old door repair or general repair. Been changing lightbulbs most of this week for the normal rate. Still lots of steam fixes in large complexes. Very blessed to have the income right now. Salt Lake City. Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    leads on boiler repair?

in these final cold days of winter, can you see any leaking boilers by looking for steam coming from the chimneys? maybe some of the guys should take note of the address, so you can mail a follow-up letter describing your services.--nbc
  • Work has slowed, but....

I have a large number of potential projects that I am putting together proposals for. Almost all are commercial and, with the help of the knowledge gained here and lots of study, I will probably be getting the projects. I am a one man shop, with some part time help,so if I am not out in the field working on projects, I am in the office writing proposals or working on expanding my market. With our country's huge energy problems coming to the forefront, there is alot of potential out there for retrofit and upgrade work. If thngs continue to go the direction they are now, this coming year may be one of the best yet, with better ones to follow.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    yeah, we've been a tad slow

short hrs/weeks. and in-between my light load, i did a 'constantly running toilet', and a bunch of toilet seat bolt replacements the other day. what the heck these gals are squirming on the toilet seats about, i don't know. they don't shake it off do they?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    dead

I've been very slow just about dead for at least 4 months very very little work ,same old nightmare service jobs with no money to really correct them but aside from that may have to find some sort of work outside of the hvac/plumbing fields basically anything at worst go back to work for some one but i am not really looking forward to that i don't think i'm cut out for taking orders any more and i can't stand working for cheap skates and working with milkers both just bring me down ,But there's all way the thought of selling it all and bolting outta this country to get away from the liberals before they give a way every thing .Just a rant peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,231
    Options
    Things will turn around, Clammy

Hang in there.

We're a society of spenders and living beyond our means. It's caught up to us with a vengeance, for sure, but old habits die hard.
    I believe we'll rebound just as suddenly and thoroughly as we've tanked.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    shhhh its quiet

Time to clean the vans, Clean the shop, Redistribute inventory, clean the office. etc

You want a service call? Take everything out of a van to clean it, the phone will ring.

I also have all the vehicles go in for service during this time of the year. Back to back, even the wifes SUV is in the loop. Get 'em in and Get em fixed.
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Terms

Suddenly people are having problems with our payment terms. For some reason they have reverted to wanting the subs to fund the projects, and I think we all know where that ends up.
    Now more than ever we need strong contracts so we can stay ahead monetarily.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options

Well Clammy being liberal is relative. the liberals now are far right of the liberals of the 1970's and before. Times like these are good for getting stuff in order as times they are a changing. I find I am getting many calls from folks who simply need it fixed once and correctly, less low bidder take our chances stuff, more I need it to work and I need it done right. As always Quality sells. Disposal products are fine when things are flying high. The cost is forgotten long before the quality.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    slow

Not that slow. We are finally getting down to 40 hour work weeks. Last year we where doing 55-62 hours. I am liking it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're a society of spenders and living beyond our means.

it's an amazing addiction, and it'll come back like a an alcoholic falling off the wagon
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yup, slowed down alot.

been trying to use the time wisely tho..learned microsoft excel, taking sales and tech classes..i figure if i have some spare time its best to use it to try and better myself and the company for when things get better..and they will get better..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Will be laying off my partner in about a week

He may be going to my uncles company for lawn sprinkler work for the summer. I may get rid of an older box truck and trade in a new small truck for a reliable box to work out of on my own. We use to sub out work almost half what we did on our own but now there is barely enough work for one person. No whole house renovations like we use to do. G.C's are going out of business and when there is a bid so many people are pricing it the odds are against us and the prices are two low.

Given what the government is doing or rather not doing, I think this will be with us for a while.

• Kind of slow,

I have lost a couple customers. Just found out Friday all my Oreck Stores are closing. Most of my stuff has been renovations lately, haven't touched a new house in months. Fortunately I had that Robur/studio job to tide me over but it's near complete and the profits have been paying the bills so you know how that goes. Spring has sprung though! We need a heat wave! ;)
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Almost all caught up

Went to Florida last week to visit my folks. 80 degrees and sunny every day. Without the slow down I don't get to make the trip, and my folks are getting up there. Why wait if you can do it? I got about a week of work left and then we clean out the vans and straighten the garage. There's always something to do. WW

• John_224
    John_224 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I've been lucky enough to stay fairly busy up until the last couple weeks been a little slow. I'm doing radiant work in new construction and some renovations. The real problem I'm having is gettin the gc's to pay starting to feel like I work for free.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    and yet, the residential hvac moonlighters

i know, without cutting anyone's throat, are rolling in the dough. one guy is turning down work! i guess it's location, location, location and heat pumps
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,103
    Options
    No License, no insurance, no taxes, NO NOTHING!!!!!!

If they take a job away from you, turn 'em in. That's the ONLY way to (forget stopping them...most municipalities could care less.....geez....we've done work for judges and lawyers, architects and politicians) who REFUSE to get permits....."I'll take care of it if its a problem...") But you might just slow them them down. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,103
    Options
    We are keeping busy, but alll those larger projects

are on hold......people are holding their horses. Mad Dog

• Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    Semi-Retired

October 2007. I'd been through 3 recessions and got out just in time before this one trundled in; the writing was on the wall and I didn't want to go through another one. I was able to sell my company to my employees and now only do service and repair out of my small house in Berkeley.

There's not a lot of work out there, but I was in business for 27 years and the old contacts stay loyal. Lately, I'm working 15-20 hours a week and that's just fine. It gives me time for my hobbies.

You guys hang in there; you're all doing the right thing: reducing your overhead, learning new skills, streamlining your operation for when it gets busy again because it always does.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No License, no insurance, no taxes, NO NOTHING!!!!!!

and yes, that's why they're rolling in it. but it doesn't affect us bec we're, 'strictly commercial', as frank would say
This discussion has been closed.