Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Small radiant zone from existing Base baord zone

Roland_20
Roland_20 Member Posts: 2
Look up information on a Roth Mini Shunt.

Comments

• andy_16
    andy_16 Member Posts: 12
    Small Radiant loop from existing baseboard zone

Have a customer that would like a Radiant bath floor appox 65 Sq' But to get new loops to the location would require opening many walls or running thru attic. There is existing baseboard in the room. I seem to remember reading about a system that would allow the radiant to be feed from a existing hot water zone. Have asked my plumber about it & got the blank stare.
    So any info & reviews about this product would be appreciated
  • Roland_20
    Roland_20 Member Posts: 2
    Baseboard to Radiant

Look up Roth Mini Shunt.
  • andy_16
    Roth Mini Shunt

Thats the one I've read about. Have a few questions. The bath is only 60 +/- sq' with a heat loss of 1835 BTU. Would this be an appropriate system for this, or should I be looking into something else. Anyone have any feed back on this product, seems like a great idea for small remodels
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Any hydronic system will probably cost prohibitive...

and the performance will be less than expected..

For an area that small, I'd recommend going with an electric radiant floor heating system with a programmable thermostat.

Check out http://www.warmfloor.com/ It's what I plan on using at Hydronicahh...

JMHO

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• andy_16
    Electric radiant

We have used those in the past, for added floor warming, nice products.Unfortunately here in LI NY we have the pleasure of paying some of the highest electric rates in the country, so most customer get chills when you suggest electric heating.
  • What are your fuels costs?

Electricity @ XX cents per KWH

Oil @ XXX $ per gallon

Nat Gas @ XXX$ per CCF or Therm?

ME
  • Justin Topel
    Justin Topel Member Posts: 65
    I second that

I agree with you Mark. I installed this in my in-law's house around 7 years ago. We were told that we were the first in this area of Colorado to install this manufacturer's product. I set it up on a programable thermostat to turn on at one hour before they usually take a shower and turn of within two hours (6 a.m - 8 a.m.). It really does not consume that much electricity. They absolutely love it and we haven't had any problems with it. I think the materials cost was around $250 at the time. The t-stat was thrown in for free because they made a small mistake in ordering one of the necessary pieces for the job. I prefer to lay it all out on top of Ditra-mat, set it in place, and let it dry before tile installation. It gives me time to insure that it is all level and perform a solid job without trying to rush my tile installation. You can also place plastic staples down to hold the mat if necessary. Just don't hit the wires :-) This was a lot more cost effective than trying to tie into their existing baseboard system. I would highly recommend it.

Mister T
This discussion has been closed.