Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cast iron radiators

george_42
george_42 Member Posts: 123
anyone have any tips on taking a cast iron radiator apart and shortening it?

Comments

• what kind?

What kind of cast iron raidators? Standing or baseboard?
  • Jim J
    Jim J Member Posts: 1
    cast iron radiators

does anyone have a formula to determine the amount of water a standing cast iron radiator holds?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Unless you have a old Spec Sheet

You can fill it up and measure the water as you drain it down

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Radiator Ranger
    Radiator Ranger Member Posts: 81
    Some Pictures

Hi -

I haven't tried pulling a radiator apart yet. Attached are some pictures
    of a radiator section; it looks like with well focused prying, the fins come
    apart (would need to remove threaded rod if your radiator has them). It
    looks to me like regular bushings fit into each section - I guess you'd
    use a correctly sized all thread nipple in between the sections and some kind of thin gasket - not sure how you'd get the last section adequately tightened.

I want to try 'reducing' one this summer. I just passed up a beautiful, delicately ornate, window radiator because it was separated across
    the bottom - looked like demolition abuse rather than rotten or a worn out unit. I've been thinking about it ever since - wondering if it's worth it to try pulling it apart d putting it back together.

Gwen

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That looks like

an American Rococo radiator. That version of the Rococo was held together with right-and-left-hand threaded nipples. These can be very difficult to take apart, or to replace if one goes bad.

If a radiator is held together with threaded rods, it has push-nipples which can be duplicated. I think Oneida County Boiler Works is one of the very few places that can do this.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
    wow...

a one section radiator, great for REALLY small rooms (grin)! It's a beauty though.
  • Radiator Ranger
    Taking radiators apart- thoughts & pictures /examples

A few more pictures:

The first 2917.jpg is of a Rococo / Plain 3 column hybrid. These radiators (there are actually 3 like it) are what make me think this procedure is fairly straightforward. What Steamhead said is curious - the only radiators I've experienced with reverse threads are the wall hung units and the reverse thread part is the bushing on one side (does anyone know where to find reverse thread bushings, I could use some?).

Picture 1465.jpg shows one style of 'wall hung' units requiring reverse or left thread bushings on one side. I bought these units in different places, flushed, refitted, primed, repainted and finally installed them 8-10 months later.

The 3rd photo 2779.jpg shows a unit I've considered rebuilding - not necessarily a cost effective choice but rather an interesting project to tackle. The potential outcome is the draw - a beautiful radiator that will heat a space for another 50++ yrs. if properly maintained. The radiator currently has a big leak in the lower section (apparent in pressure testing and upon close visual inspection). I'm thinking I could either pull out the sections between the tweak and the legged section or I could make a different kind of foot all together and end with a no leg section....

The final pictures (2779.jpg & 2910.jpg) show a style of radiator I've not seen before but that appear to make replacing sections very simple. The top and bottom sections of the radiators are also a distribution pipe. These radiators and the radiator pictured in 2764 are from the late 1800's. I'm constantly impressed by the design and functionality of old, cast iron radiators.

Been in school for the last several weeks - have a break now and am glad to be here.

Gwen Healy - Radiator Ranger

• M grallert
    M grallert Member Posts: 19

I have taken these apart and successfully reassembled them. Not too hard to do but not easy either. You'll need a spud wrench to turn the threaded nipples in and out the problem I had was the largest part of the wrench is too big to fit into the rad section so it will need to be ground down to fit trough the rad to ingage the nip. A little heat and patiance will move the nipples and a thin paper gasket made to seal the sections along with some sealer like permatech or gasoila. Looks like fun
    Peace
  • Radiator Ranger
    Resizing Radiators

Some photos:

The first 2917.jpg is a rococo / plain 3 column hybrid. There are 3 of these here and they are why I think resizing radiators is fairly straightforward and possible.

The 2nd 1465.jpg is of a set of wall hung radiators. What I've learned about this style is that they have a reverse or left threaded bushing on one end of the radiator - so they can be connected end to end (like 3 of the units pictured). Anyone know where to get reverse thread bushings - I could use some?

2764.jpg is the radiator I saw recently and passed up because it's got a considerable leak / break along the bottom. It seems like one could pull the push nipple, pry the unit apart where the trouble spot is, pull the footed fin, install a new gasket, new push nipples and the footed fin and hook it up. I believe the unit is from the late 1800's, it could provide another 100 years of service and it's a beauty. A lot of work though....

Finally, a style patented in 1874 - this style appears to run water through the top and bottom sections. 2779.jpg shows the top of the unit and 2910.jpg shows 2 in the truck. I go back and forth about how I like the styling - so modern, so angular. It also looks like if one section/ column got pulled out (and the hole plugged), it'd work just fine. I won't get to these (pulling the old fittings, cleaning, priming, painting and installing) until summer but I'm sure intrigued by them.

I'm outta school for a week, yahoo!

Gwen Healy,
    Radiator Ranger

• Radiator Ranger
    Forgot to include a picture

This one could likely be fixed by removing / replacing a segment 7 fins from the
    foot. I like the unit a lot but am not sure it wouldn't be a debacle of pulling and tugging, prying and cursing.

Gwen

This discussion has been closed.