Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing a Storage Tank

DennisWP
DennisWP Member Posts: 1
Any thoughts on extracting a 1000 gallon storage tank from an undersized penthouse located on the roof of a nine storey older motel and replacing it all the while keeping the hot water system in service?

Comments

• Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Rooftop Tanks

Didn't I see this on "Dirty Jobs"?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    storage tank

is this a trick question?
  • jimmac
    jimmac Member Posts: 48
    roof top

any chance this is in the west 30's in nyc?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Before you pull the trigger....

DO you actually NEED 1,000 gallons? If its an older building that has undergone energy conservation, the load may dictate a smaller tank.

Whatever the storage capacity comes out to, I would recommend replacing it with multiple storage tanks, piped in parallel. Design and install them like batteries, so if one fails, you can valve it off, pull it out and replace it without shutting the system as a whole down.

Regardless of what you decide to do, I'd recommend running the whole idea past a structural engineer and get his blessing/recommendations. 1,000 gallons is 8,340 pounds, PLUS the tank.

If properly designed, your "down time" should be minimal, probably not more than 3 to four hours, and then when you bring the new storage tank system on line, transition should be seamless.

Proceed with caution. You're dealing with some pretty hefty weight.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jimscout
    jimscout Member Posts: 11
    Storage

Battery idea sounds best, make sure you open a vent while draining, (Rivets?) What about Subbing out the demo to an expert. Can you keep me posted on this one?
  • rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86

How about a helicopter? It's either that or cut it up Pc by Pc and hawl it down by hand or push over the edge when no one is looking. Make sure you put a mattress on the ground to deaden the sound when it hits. Good luck.
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    chop chop

second the chopper they move big HVAC rooftops all the time should be easy for those guys
This discussion has been closed.