Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DC Solar pumps for radiant

Ross_7
Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
I think that this kind of set up would be great for a vacation home or small camp. Other than the upfront cost of the solar installation. I see that the Laing has very small starting torque, and uses very low wattage. I see that Simer manufactures a 12VDC pump, but I'm not sure if it's built for this type of application. Thinking outside of the box is fun sometimes!

Comments

• Ross_7
    DC solar pumps for radiant

Just curious here. I'm not sure if anybody has done an "off the grid" solar radiant project. What is your pump of choice, if you were doing a small radiant slab, say a 1000 sq ft. or so. I see that the Laing D5 fits the bill, but I was wondering if there are any other Manufacturers that you prefere. Thanks in advance!
    Ross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    Laing D5

has a loyal following. They are efficient and have a great track record. I still see 20 year old Hartell and Marsh circs out there.

The shift to electronic pumps, both 120VAC and small DC pumps is gaining momentum.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Royboy
    Royboy Member Posts: 223
    Ivan Labs

El Sid pumps are another option, a little smaller than the Laing's. I prefer either of those to the March and Hartells on the basis of noise produced.

I've gotten in situations where I was convinced by the off-grid electric guy on a job to use a smaller pump than I would have otherwise, in order to save the relatively scarce PV watts. Hasn't always worked out well, so I'd encourage you to make sure you've got enough flow to deliver the desired heat. Or install more tubing, fintube, or whatever you're using for delivery.

Roy
  • Ross_7
    larger tubing

I ran the calcs on the Watts Radiant program & with a minor upsize to 5/8" tubing, an with a decrease in head loss & gpm, the Laing would fit the bill, according to their pump curve anyway. Just all on paper. I'll take a look at the El Sid pumps. Thanks for the tip! :-)
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709

Taco recently introduced a line of solar products. For your convenience I attached literature.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
This discussion has been closed.