Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate Neutralizing

Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
I always did it. Then last week an inspector said "What the hell is that thing?" When I told him what it was He said who told you to put that in and told me to take it out because it would ruin the pump. He eventually said I could leave it but I don't see how it could ruin the pump.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=329&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Undonaassesee
    Undonaassesee Member Posts: 10
    Condensate Neutralizing

Is it imperative to install an in-line condensate neutralizer on condensing gas fired equipment ? Do all you mod-con installers make practice of this ? We always recommend one but I have seen (my own house) many installs w/o one Thanks Bill
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Required by code....

The PLUMBING code that is.

Without them, copper and cast iron drains are reduced to swiss cheese.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998

Copper yes, cast iron no. The ph is close to lemon juice. I see a lot of rotten c.i. in the food industry. The factory supplied neutrizers will sometimes block. So we invented our own system using limestone or marble stone in a plastic box. We have yet to experience aproblem with this setup un over 10 years.
  • I beg to differ with you Hank...

I have seen the trap rotted out on more cast iron floor drains than you can shake a stick at.

Have also seen what was left after jack hammer surgery of the horizontal drain lines eaten out from the low pH of condensate. Cast iron can not withstand the acidity of condensate, regardless of WHAT the CISPI says. It may be "resistant", but will eventually (less than 10 years) fail.

ME
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    VERY Aggressive

I second ME with his statement,and i have also seen leach fields that needed replaced because of 8 years of condensate!

Cost of making your own Neutralizer = Well under $100

Cost of Replacing CU/Cast Iron embedded in concrete $$$$?

Cost of new leach field in our environment(Rockie Mtn)= $50.000+

Is it worth taking those Risks?

Our area is even thinking of MANDATING the installs of neutralizer's with Condensing equipment!

I am not tiring to offend anyone but:Just like the watersheds to the East/West off of our beautiful divide i
    Guess "new"ways of heating has to travel from Europe/Canada to the Mid west then East/West, that is kinda the pattern that i have been seeing in the Heating Industries.. :-)
  • I agree with Mark & Richard,

did you see the posting Timco had?
    Cheap to make-up & great piece of mind.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.