Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solar Bray Oil

Justin Topel
Justin Topel Member Posts: 65
I was wondering what the best way to deal with a Bray Oil system is. We are wanting to remove the oil and replace it with glycol. I have heard of others pumping in glycol until it appears that all of the oil is out. Does anyone have experience with this? Will flushing with a detergent first be a better idea? What's your suggestion in regards to the cleaner used? I have been involved in silicone and bray oil systems, just not with the flushing out part. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Mister T

Comments

• Steve M_2
    Steve M_2 Member Posts: 121
    Bray oil

Is this an old Novan system? I installed humdreds of those back in the late 70's and early 80's. Bray oil was good stuff but I don't know where you can get it now. I've changed them over to propylene glycol before by 1st recoving the oil and even blowing it out with a compressor. Then flush with water and then add TSP and run it thru the system on a sunny day by turning on the controller and then flush again. Then charge it with glycol and you should be go to go.
  • Justin Topel
    Justin Topel Member Posts: 65
    Solar Flush

Thanks for the reply Steve. This is what I suspected, but didnt want to do it with asking others their thoughts. How about a silicone system? Have you ever had to flush one of those out? Maybe the same process would work for it, but I have not heard of anyone doing that. Thanks for the imput.

Mister T
This discussion has been closed.