Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Modular Boilers

Rich Kontny_3
Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
Can be a nightmare for steam as it is hard to balance the condensate into numerous boilers as needed. We had better luck with two versus one with burner modulating. This gives you some energy advantages plus back up.

Rich

Comments

• The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Steamhead and other steam pros

Any one use the modular approach when replacing large boilers serving an old one pipe steam system?
    If so do you have any wisdom to share regarding piping configurations.
    I have read Dan's excellent article on modular and now am looking for additional information based on actual installs. ie trials, tribulations, successes
    ALL input gratefully accepted!
  • I've had good luck on modular steam....

with stage firing. I have done 2, one one pipe steam with gravity return and one 2 pipe feeding steam coils with cond pump return. The one pipe steam boilers are staged with a two stage thermostat and an aquastat on the end of the slowest heating main to get both boilers running on an initial call for heat. Slant Fin had been doing modular steam for about 30 years. Larry, at Slant Fin tech services really knows these modulars well. Others here have since used staged boilers and two stage gas valves together on a single installation with success.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    More than two?

We did a water utilty filter/pump house with six boilers and they had nothing but problems. You seem to use a lot of copper on your steam systems. Any problems with that?
  • Only two so far.......

Buildings don't get that big out here in Northwestern Illinois. Copper only gets used on returns or drips. A number of guys here at the Wall with many years in on steam have been using copper in this application for over a decade without issues. It tends to stay cleaner and does not rot out like steel in wet returns.
    When using modulars, it is really important to pipe them to spec. Large returns, full size equalizers, and large risers keep the pressure drop between modules at a minimum. Just remember, the famous Mills boiler is a modular boiler, as is any cast iron sectional boiler, for that matter. You just have to equalize each module properly.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    Water Balance NITEMARES

is an understatement!!! I don't know if I want to step into this one! Five VGA400 about 5 years old, serious water line issues. I am convinced the plant is grossly oversized as I have never seen more than 3 units operate at any time. Keeping them running is a trick.
    Nice deep drop header pic. Inspectors will not let copper come anywhere near steam on our installs.Return lines only!
    Thanks for the feed back guys.
This discussion has been closed.