Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steamhead

Those pigtails on the steamer at the brewpub were indeed clogged; replaced them with brass ones along with both pressuretrols. I also replaced the M-M LWCO since it was all gummed up.

Now all I have to deal with is the high CO reading I get with my analyzer; before the flue heated up to draw properly, I was getting combustibles in the boiler room; got dizzy and then sick; the readings were well over 2,400 ppm when my meter OD'd. I'm thinking the boiler HX is clogged, but have only seen that on hot water boilers when they condense. Any ideas?

All the best,

Alan

Comments

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    This is dangerous!

If you have the authority to red-tag/lockout something that is unsafe, this is it!

If the HX is clogged, the CO will be coming out the burner or inspection opening. If it's a chimney problem, the CO will come out of the barometric or draft hood.

The high CO itself, might be a result of the boiler being over-fired. Or the burners might be dirty, or misaligned, or if they have air shutters these may be closed too far, or maybe something else. But DO NOT work in there without taking proper precautions. Your getting dizzy and then sick was a warning. Might be a good idea to talk to your doctor about this. We don't want to lose you.

If the chimney takes more than a few seconds to start drawing, there's likely a problem with the chimney itself or maybe a make-up air problem. Have the chimney inspected.

There are probably other things that could be included here, but I can't remember at the moment. I suggest you also talk to Tim McElwain (if it's gas) or George Lanthier (if it's oil) as they and others will have more to offer. Also, please re-post the type of boiler this is, and if it has a power burner, the burner info as well.

Let us know how you make out!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Alan let us know

what fuel you are dealing with and I will see if I can help you out.
  • You can reach

George Lanthier at www.friedragonent.com
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    ventalation hoods /make up

Allan does the building have kitchen type hoods ?could it be the building is under a negative pressure due to exhaust hoods with out the proper make up air system? just a thought also may be look at combustion air make up for the boiler and aslo check out where the chimmey is vented in realationship to roof top a/c unit ,building exhaust and all that good stuff .i do know that most of the brew pubs and brewing faculities i have seen had alot of moisture in the brewer rooms where the tanks and fermenters are located this could and may be an issue depending where the boiler is located just a thought peace and good luck .clammy ps do they have a meter on there make up water like a svt unit it's always nice to know how much make up water the boiler is seeing

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• The boiler

is a Hydrotherm VGA 350 BSPV; the make-up air is a straight horizontal shot out the side of the building and looks fine. The flue looks fine as well - combines with the water heater and goes straight up the outside of the building about 30'; I checked the termination cap on the roof and it looks OK as well.

clammy - I'll check the ventilation fans downstairs in the kitchen.

The gases are coming out of the draft hood. I'll check the burners when I go back. I remember them sounding a bit out of whack, but there was a metal guard at the opening of the fire box that prevented me from looking in and I couldn't seem to move it.
  • The Boiler Dr.
    The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
    VGA back draft

I agree with others here on negative indoor pressures but does your draft hood have a flue damper tat is not opening. If your appliance is dumping from the hood it usually narrows down to 3 things; chimney or vent connector,vent damper or building negative. Does the unit vent properly if you open a door to outside?
    Had a VGA 400 with one plugged flue passage last week but it still vented OK.
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    CAZ test

Do you have a manometer with which you can perform a Combustion Appliance Zone test? Anything above 5 pascals can potentially backdraft
    Enda
  • Flue damper

is before the draft hood; if it were closed, gases would come out of the fire box. And I checked the damper; it's working fine.

I just spoke to the owner to warn him of the problem again; says he can hold off making beer until I come out, but that whenever he's brewing, he turns on a powerful ventilator to provide good air circulation - that may be the problem.

More later.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

This discussion has been closed.