Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas code question

Bob D._2
Bob D._2 Member Posts: 34
2008 NEC, 725.24, for Class 1, 2 & 3 - " . . .shall be supported by the building structure . . " - this doesn't mean indirectly.
All other wiring installation typically falls under 110.12, which mandates "neat and workman-like", which the 2008 NEC Handbook explicitly illustrates in the commentary that "improperly supported" would usually fall under this requirement (page 43).
Special cases exist where short lengths of cables may be unsupported, such as wiring to a light fixture laid in a suspended ceiling grid, some fished retrofit work, etc.
Overhead service conductors have their own specific installation requirements (Art. 225, 230, etc.)
Personally, I wouldn't depend on the Fuel Gas Code, but rather use the NEC since it's more likely that the electrical trade guy used the gas pipe for (inappropriate) support, and not the fitter that used the wiring for support (but somebody has probably tried!).
Bottom line - cut the c**p, move the wire. It's taken longer to research it than to fix it.

Comments

• Cables on gas lines?

Is it allowable to support electrical wiring from overhead gas supply piping? I have seen many instances where cable tv and telephone cables have been run along gas piping and fastened to it by tywraps or clamps, using the pipe for support.

Doesn't seem quite right to me, but I am curious if it violates any codes?

• Thorp Thomas
    Thorp Thomas Member Posts: 23

Codes never allow you to attach your wires or pipes to mine. What if I have to remove or move my pipe or even work on it, what supports yours? Let alone, magnetic interference or heat transmission.

• I agree that is not a desirable situation, but I have been unable to find where it is specifically prohibited. International gas code prohibits supporting piping from other piping, but does not mention wiring.

Electrical code prohibits supporting electrical wiring from other electrical conduits, unless the additional wiring is low voltage class 2 control connected to the associated equipment.

So far, I have been unable to find where fastening cable TV, telephone, or low voltage control cables to a gas pipe is specifically prohibited. Without citing a specific prohibition, I have very little support in my contention that the wiring should be removed.
This discussion has been closed.