Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jimmy The Gent & Mad Dog Solar job

is there a scientific explanation for that, bec my brain is imagining a capped bottle of water on my roof on a 95deg f day, and i just can't imagine it hitting 662. am i missing something?

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    Started this one yesterday

I apologize for the sizing. Can't find my cam and used My sister in laws. Sorry Johnny White...homeowner provided the materials...but we did sneak some Taco flanges in there......Mad Dog
  • md

real nice job

and......do you know/what do you know about the pliable, adhesive backed solar 'panels' that can be stuck between the standing seams of a metal roof?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Thanks Mike

Not sure of your question...Getting ready to leave for Montauk for a Post-Hunting Season Scout with Matt Jr. and Opa Spiess to look for shed antlers and where we wanna hunt next year.. I'll check in later. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    ok I will

bite... Why such a tall tank? Did they have to head off the floor joists? Nice clean job....
  • i'll re-word it

not solar hot water, but i saw some pliable, 3/16? thick, self-adhesive solar electric 'panels' that come in x-lengths at approx 10-12" wide, and they fit in-between the standing seams of a metal roof, and i was wondering if you knew of/had any experience with them

and......the installation also had loops of pex in-between sleepers under the black metal roof. a great? combo of solar hot water and electric generation
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    Nice

clean work as usual.
    Where are the H&C connections for the tank? It looks like a dual coil tank for solar and boiler. That tall tank probably will stratify nicely.
    What about an expansion tank, check valve on S&R, and pressure relief on the solar loop? Any need for overheat protection?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jim burke
    jim burke Member Posts: 26
    Termal solar

Hot rod still have not finished this project .
    The domestic side of tank is at top and bottom we will be piping the indirect & dump zone for summer .
    The relief for solar & x tank will be installed at tee's already in place.
    We can't wait to charge this baby up and see the result's in fuel usage .
    Thank you for your input .
    Hopefully we will have it up and running on monday we will post new pic's when job is complete .
  • hot_rod
    prime solar season

is upon us, good timing. I notice my system running 10 or 15 minutes more every day and temperatures climbing. almost time for the outdoor shower.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • kpc_70
    kpc_70 Member Posts: 18
    pex on solar....

sounds like a recipe for a blow out to me...
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Questions

I have a 120 tube sunmmaxx system that I installed. I really like it. I didn't see any air vents. I presume they are there someplace. My main concern is the potential for the front collectors to shadow the rear ones with sun low on the horizon. I can't tell if you allowed enough space between them. What do you think?

I just did added a dump zone with a modine heater and 3-way valve. It works off a Resol controller and is all automatic. Works great. It will do duty until the pool gets going.
  • kevin_in_denver_3
    kevin_in_denver_3 Member Posts: 9
    Pliable PV

Mike,
    You're talking about Unisolar photovoltaics with Dawn Solar purlins.
  • sounds like a recipe for a blow out to me...

why, too hot?
  • Pliable PV ?

thanks, i'll look them up
  • Mad Dog_2
    Yes, it was tall wasn't it

That is the brand and size the HO wanted. Yes joisted had to be headered off. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Helll yeah

PEX is not rated for the over 300 degree temps solar thermal can produce....I've heard uponor has one under lab tests, but still wouldn't trust it. Mad Dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Thanks HR,,

This was just one day's work....he didn't have the control and we have to go back and finish during the week. We were discussing a dump zone and a possible ground sink when the HO told us, he'd getting a pool in the summer. mad dog

• Mad Dog_2
    Not to be corny,,,,,but

it really is a very exciting technology. Were gung-ho, man. Mad Dog

• over 300 degree temps solar thermal can produce?!

are you saying that on a 95deg day, water-filled pex under a black, metal roof could reach 300degs and rupture?
  • mb_2
    mb_2 Member Posts: 9
    brazed?

Are the solar lines brazed or soft soldered? I understood they needed to be brazed because of the elevated temps.
    Mark
  • well, 95/5 melting temp

is around 450degs f, so i'd guess that the repeated expansion/contraction would be more detrimental to the joint
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Nice work guys...

Keep on a grinnin' and a GREENin' . The public will beat a path to your door.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kevin_in_denver_3
    kevin_in_denver_3 Member Posts: 9
    Dawn Solar

Mike,

The system you saw is unglazed, which has a max. temp. of 180F, even in summer. Just within PEX specs.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Regarding max continued use temps of 95/5

I just did a little research a couple weeks ago on this, the max extended use temp of 95/5 is 250. I was looking into this after looking over an article on a repipe job for county courthouse being done right now that had a heating system running at 260 and the solder joints were becoming brittle and starting to leak. Catastrophic failure was deemed inevitable and ordered to be repiped after 8 yrs of operation. Just a footnote :)
  • hot_rod
    some extreme temperatures possible

with evac tube arrays. Manufactures of tubes claim in excess of 350F.

The German "Planning and Installing Solar Thermal Systems" states

"Stagnation temperatures of up to 350C (662F) in evac tube collectors demand excellent thermal stability of the heat transfer medium." "At these temperatures boiling of the liquid cannot be prevented. heat transfr media are required that evaporate without leaving any residue."

I think that leaves out most solders. And PG glycols :) Silsolder or mechanical joints. Press fittings??? Will they sign off on those temperature potentials?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Matt

Looking good!!! Solar Thermal is an excellent way to increase business. One more weapon in the arsenal. Keep in mind that there is no cap on the Federal tax credits now. It is 30% of the installation cost now. A great motivator in closing a sale.

Time to share a beer my friend!

Darin
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Silver Solder in Denver

H as been a requirement since the last solar debacle (70's and 80's)

Tough to keep from cooking rubber grommets with that method. Tried split clamp around escuscheons, but they are only good for a couple of uses before they get froached and tossed.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bill from Buffalo
    Bill from Buffalo Member Posts: 4
    Hey Darin

Can you explain the Tax Credits further?

Thanks,

Rick

Mad Dog, sweet job!
  • hot_rod
    Hot Dam is a product

I have used on a few solar solder joints. Pack it around the panel, like silly putty or clay, to stop the scorching. Also when I solder union halves on collectors I apply the heat inside the union to keep the flame away from the panel.

Also pull the header out towards you, usually there is an inch or so of "play" inside the panel.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
This discussion has been closed.