Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mad dog needs recom on RO filtration

Paul Pollets
Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
Matt, are you trying to do the whole house, or just the kitchen sink? If doing the whole home, I've found that water filters made by EWS, work better than most, certainly RO. They have high flow rates and very little maintenence. I recommend the CWL-1354 for whole house filtration in larger homes.

See: www.ewswater.com

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=104&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    reverse osmosis

Folks: I have not installed a RO system in many years...I believe the last one was in mid 90s when I was still with the "onion." If I recall it was a cuno. Need opinions and recommendations on what brands you"ll like. It is for a very good client with a high end home...he is willing to go for high qauloity. Thanks. Mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,143
    hey matt

i recently helped install one that the HO purchased can't remenber the manafacture but i believe that most of these unit will only supply 1 faucet even though this unit was quite large and was suppose to be able to supply more then one fixture we found out that it did not produce enough RO watre to supply any of the standard fixtures plus there was a signifact drop in pressure and alot of issue with the materals that the RO would be running through ,metals in faucets also there are some consideration of drainage materal and how they are effected by RO water being it is striped of all mineral content and we all know that nature likes things in balance .on the job i had worked on seperate water lines where ran to the kitchen and bath room sinks ,the second floor sink did not have enough pressure to fill a drink glass being this job was speced and designed by the HO who was a engeener there was still the fact that the pressure on the outlet side was very low .IMHO a point of use unit is better in the long run then what was attempted on the system i had worked on ,that system also required a drain for discharge remenber to do a bit of reaserch before bidding .The system we did install was complete and came in a couple of pieces and was modular in design it did look pretty good but the performace was not what the HO or myself expected .peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    What are you trying to fix

RO isn't right for every customer. Taste, odor, sediment, bacteria, heavy metals? They all tke different equipment. You really need to prescribe the water treatment to the water "problems".

ROs waste a lot of water in the process, maybe they have gotten better, used to be 3 gallons down the drain for every 1 produced.

I'd have a good water analysis done on the water and address the filter from that angle. I doubt you would ever want to RO the entire home. I think ROs tend to be over sold as the best product for any condition.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    This is why I asked here..........The sharpest minds in the

trades. No, not whole house. before I take another step, I will order up an analysis first. The HO wants to filter out "everything" you know. I will keep you'll posted,. thank you guys. Mad dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    I don't have

any specific recommendations, but several years ago, I bought a 5 stage for myself from this place:

http://www.edenfilters.com/

The cost was very reasonable, and I have purchased filters for it a number of times from the same place.... I am very happy with it and the company's service.

I would recommend them highly...

I guess I just did.
  • Jim Erhardt_3
    Jim Erhardt_3 Member Posts: 80
    A large selection...

...of water quality products - including RO systems - can be found here: http://www.watts.com/pro/_products.asp?catId=2242
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Water District

Matt, First step call up the water district and get a copy of the yearly water analysis which they are required to send to all customers. As you may know, Long Island water comes from aquifers and it is some of the best water in the country. It is actually better than most bottled water but many consumers are fooled into thinking that bottled water is better.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Plenty to chew on...thanks guys

His lovely wife has Cancer and he wants to eliminate ANY possible carcinogens. Mad Dog

• Ken Field
    Ken Field Member Posts: 123
    If

you are a legitimate contractor, I will gladly offer my assistance.

Ken
  • Vertex

I install quite a few of these units. The company is VERTEX. http://www.vertexwater.com/ The quality is excellent and the pricing is great.
  • James_25
    James_25 Member Posts: 1
    water analisys

Mad Dog, Cuno and American Plumber will test the water for you for free. just get a sample bottle from your local wholesaler, and they will recommend what you need and tell you what is in your water. I have used both several times with good results.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

i sent you a private e-mail, matt. bob
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Mad Dog?

As a contractor, being legitimate?

LOL

Matt, the water check will tell you what the customer wants to have happen.
  • Check out

The new nano filters from Sheldon Labs in Vermont. They have gotten a lot of press and sound pretty awesome. Using nanotechnology the filters fibers are very small and require little pressure to filter.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.