Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing radiator valve & wet steam

Bob_121
Bob_121 Member Posts: 22
Hey pros.
So after much reading on this site, i replaced my radiator vents with varivents.
Question is, when i take off the old vents, am i suppose to see water coming out of the old vents?
or are they suppose to be completely dry?

if i have water inside the old vents, is this an indication of wet steam?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    wet vents

there always seems to be a small amount of water in the vent when you take it off-from condemsation. where the problem become excessive would be when the vents are so full of water that their floats close and prevent their operation. what was wrong with the ols ones?

if you are trying to even out the system heat, the main vents do most of the work, and suffer the most, while the radiator vents only handle about 5% of the air removal, and rarely fail. also remember that low pressures, below 16 ounces assists the even venting.

either you can make 1 payment to mr. gorton's vent co. or you can make multiple payments to your fuel co. to squeeeeze the air out through the constipated little openings of the radiator vents!--nbc
  • Bob_121

Thanks Nicholas.
    I wanted to replace the existing one since i was able to get a good price on some varivalves.

my next project will be upgrading my main vents.
    i have no room for a gorton 2, so i will probably tee 6 gorton 1 at the end of my main.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    gortons

there must be a way to get the bigger one in there. sometimes the vertical drop from dry return to wet can be drilled out 1/2 in for a #2. oddly enough the #1 is 3/4 in outside thread. give it some close study, as ample venting is the key, and #2's are less expensive than the equivalent capacity of multiple #1's!

somewhere on this site is pictured the vertical mounting, maybe the source person will see this posting and post it again.--nbc
  • Bob_121

Nicholas, i would love to put in a #2, but i dont have enough clearance b/w my pipe the flooring from the 1st floor.

no drawbacks on multiple #1s right?
  • Kool Rod
    Kool Rod Member Posts: 175

Hi Amber- Here's a link that may give you some ideas.

http://gwgillplumbingandheating.com/webapp/GetPage?pid=415

Click the link at the bottom of the page for more vent pictures.

This website is Gerry Gill's, who is a "Super Steam Pro".
    You might also want to look around the site as there is a lot of good information on steam heating there.

For your info: A Gorton #2 has about 3 times the venting capacity of a Gorton #1

- Rod
  • Bob_121

Great. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.