Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I've just about seen everything now.

The Boiler Dr.
The Boiler Dr. Member Posts: 163
was a 15 or 20 section steam rad that some one took the time to drill and tap for 1/8 brass nipples then connected each of the nipples using 1/4 soft copper and compression fittings. Talk about patience as all the nipples lined up. I considered it more a work of art than anything. Now I really wish I had pics of that.

Comments

• rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    How to turn a steam rad into a water rad.

Drill holes in each column, insert metal siding screws, but do not tighten yet. Fill rad with water until all air has escaped and then tighten screws.
  • Mars_3
    Mars_3 Member Posts: 65
    Why did I not think of that

What a great way to kill your radiators, Priceles
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Hey

They only leak a little when the rad is cold.

Might better have left it and let the top be for expansion.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Isn't that what the rubber washer is for? I have several steam rads that were drilled & tapped to be HW rads. Proper vents installed, likely when system was converted from steam to HW...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Isn't that what the rubber washer is for? I have several steam rads that were drilled & tapped to be HW rads. Proper vents installed, likely when system was converted from steam to HW...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    This type of rad

doesn't circulate water very well, since the sections are not connected across the top. So it might not give off the heat a proper hot-water rad would.

I'd say that one has really been knuckleheaded.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.