Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

20 yrs ago

bill nye_3
bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
I started my oil burner career 20 yrs ago this year !

We had a recession in the new construction industry 20 yrs ago in the 1988 -1989 era. I was a young hot shot plumber - heater contractor then. I had 5 employees and 4 trucks. I just bought a 1989 Ford F-350 with a 9' body and 60 payments.

Then the bottom fell out of the housing. Not so much different from now. I laid every one off, made payments on the truck that sat in the driveway and took a job with one of the big oil companies in my area.

In 1986 if I could start the job right away it was mine. Money wasn't as important to the builder as "when can you start". That was the eighties building boom.

In retrospect, I make more money now, have less headaches, no truck payments, and health insurance !

Life is good. Now I am replacing the equipment that was installed back then

Comments

• Tim_41
    Tim_41 Member Posts: 153
    Congrats

Congrats man!! I just turned the big 20 this year also. Lots of history repeating itself now. I still drive by my first job as a sole proprietor and wonder what the hell was I thinking crawling under that place!! Yet, I still find myself going in "those places".
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    congrats

congrats Bill, nearing the 30 mark myself in the fuel game. Stupid me, I followed my father's footsteps, but he always said you'll never be out of work unless you want to be. So much changes yet remains the same. Best wishes to you. peace
  • Vernon P. James_2
    Vernon P. James_2 Member Posts: 33
    Congrats

I too celebrated 20 years March 1 as a sole proprietor plumbing & heating business
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
    Twenty-two years.................in............................

I have a saying: "If you don't love this trade....you WILL hate it." Its physically rough and just as rough as a business owner, but there is a certain, honor, glory, and pride in the pipe trades that are very particular to us. I am glad I stayed and didn't become a lawyer. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Mad Dog....a lawyer?

You would've been a "Pit Bull" of a lawyer I'm guessin'

Paul
  • Leo_28
    Leo_28 Member Posts: 1
    Bill!!

How you been stranger? Twenty years, well you got seven on me, you were one of the ones who would answer my many questions. Good to see you posting.

Leo
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    retirement looks bleak ! lol

47 years in the trade & still going strong. i slapped in a steam in6 boiler with twin 3 " drop header & 4- 2" take offs. took me two days . aluminum three foot wrench stolen so had to rough it with old stand-by steel ridgids. they seem heavier than they used to be. must be getting old. nah.
This discussion has been closed.