Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Defective Gorton #2

Mad Dog_2
Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,402
I called on Gorton to design + build the "number 3". A short, squat vent with the capacity of atleast 3 or 4 #2s. This had to be 4 or 5 years ago. They could charge double the cost...we'd but a lot of them. Mad dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Michael P. Bourque
    Michael P. Bourque Member Posts: 37
    Defective Gorton Vent???

In an effort to provide the best possible venting in my single pipe steam system, I purchased three Gorton No. 2 Air Eliminators for my three mains.

I received them today from PEXSUPPPLY and wanted to test them before venting. I simply blew into the Gorton and discovered that two of the units were not letting air escape. However, one of the units let air escape very nicely - so well it was as though it was an open pipe. Wow!

I looked closely at the units and noticed that the working one rattles when you shake it. The other two units do not.

On the working unit, I also notice a small pin and hole on the bi-metal actuator when I look through the bottom. Looking at this picture below I can see this is the way it is supposed to be.

The other two don't have a visible pin. This leads me to believe the unit is defective as the the float is lodged into the closed position. Perhaps in shipping or if these were dropped?

It's really bizarre that two of three unit I ordered are defective. I just wondered if anyone has seen this. If I weren't so inclined as to blow into the units as a test, I would have installed them and have no venting on two of my mains!

I have contacted PEX to swap the defective units. However let me know if you have seen this or have experience with these vents.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    defective vents

before sending back, i would try them in place just to make certain of non-function. even though you have already given them a colonoscopical examination.--nbc
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Sounds to me

like they got banged up in transit. Send them back and get them replaced.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Are you sure they weren't stored on top of the boiler

or in a heated spot????I have seen that before and thought they were bad. Let them cool down.....If they are bad, Ken Kunz at Gorton is The Man. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Michael P. Bourque
    I tried all that

All,

Yes I tried to let them cool off and heat up, they are broke. I didn't want to install them as to avoid a problem with PEX when I return them.
  • Michael P. Bourque
    Does Ken Kunz have a contact email?

Does Ken Kunz have a contact email?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    \"i'd like to see them make\"

i'd like to see gorton make a mega-vent, maybe less tall, also with visible means of showing temperature, and whether open or closed. it could have the capacity of 4 # 2's but would be adjustable, down. even though it would undoubtably be more expensive, it would save time, by allowing us boilermen to see when steam had arrived at multiple locations, and adjust the vent speed accordingly. now when you want to balance the mains it's a matter of guesswork and sometimes multiple shipments from the vent supplier. also would make it easier to keep a spare on hand for emergency use later.

i am suprised that you had 2 bad ones-maybe they did take a fall.--nbc
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    ahead of the curve

yet again. All we need is for the industry to listen!

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I remember that

we could have used such vents on the Calvert Court job shown in our FAP ad. That was in 2005.

• Mad Dog_2
    C'mon Gorton....I'll EVEN allow you to use my trademarked

"Mad Dog." You could call it the Gorton Mad Dog...'it vents a MAD amount of air. WE'D BUY EM BY THE CASE , kEN!!!!!!Mad dOG

This discussion has been closed.