Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How much should a steam radiator be pitched?

narcaparbebra
narcaparbebra Member Posts: 32
Thanks NICHOLAS!

Comments

• Michael P. Bourque
    Michael P. Bourque Member Posts: 37
    How much should a steam radiator be pitched?

I recently had my boiler replaced and consequently had to have it completely repiped again as the knucklehead didn't pipe the header correctly.

Anyhow I know I was getting wet steam and as a result, I am sure I have water in my radiator.

I know I need to pitch my steam radiators so that when the steam condenses it can travel back into my parallel flow mains.

I recently disconnected one radiator (which was level) and poured about 2 cups of water out of it. I had to completely turn it on it's side.

So my question is how much to pitch it?

I can already see that radiators have an area at the bottom that can trap water. And since the radiator valve is threaded into the base, there is a natural tendency for the water to get stuck on the lip of the threaded valve end. Sort of like what happens with a reducer fitting - water gets trapped.

So how much do you all recommend I pitch it?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    radiator pitch

someone here had the brilliant idea of puting quarters under the feet of the radiator away from the valve end. i don't know that it is necessary to pitch them so much that they drain dry-the legs could be hollow, and that would require quite a pitch to drain!! most supply and return pipes are pitched 1 in in 10-20 ft. that would work out to aboutone quarter under each end foot, and may not be necessary unless you can hear noise from steam trying to get through a pool of condensate. as long as they are somewhat pitched towards the valve, and silent, you should be alright.--nbc
  • narcaparbebra

how do u pitch large radiators, 30+ columns?

• nicholas bonham-carter
    large rad pitching

for large rads you may need larger washwers, to spread the load. be careful when jacking up not to raise up the end legs to much at a time as there could be a leverage factor with stress at the valve spunt nut. put a washer under the end legs, then under the middle legs, and finally enough extra washers under the end to make each leg equally supported by varying numbers of washers. be absolutely certain [with a good level] you need to do this before you start! i am wondering if i would loosen the spud nut slightly before starting, so as not to scrape the mating surfaces.--nbc
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    minimum pitch

using a 9 " torpedo level just " crack " the bubble. has worked well for me over a span of numerous years & countless radiators
  • narcaparbebra

nicholas, putting washer at the end will not cause too the middle to crack due to higher elevation?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    raising the rad

your are only raising the rad enough to slip the washer under the leg. for a rad this size i would think that there are intermediate legs? so you raise it enough to slip washers under the end legs, then enough to put one under each middle leg, then enough to put another washer under each end. put a level on the radiator and see if it "cracks the bubble" [an apt phrase- bob!]. when you lever it up, do so slowly to avoid putting undue strain on the union nut next to the valve.--nbc
  • narcaparbebra

what is meant by crack the bubble?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    cracking the bubble

when the level is level, the bubble is in between the lines, and when it is cracking, it is touching one of the lines.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.