Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

National Grid

joe lambert_2
joe lambert_2 Member Posts: 61
Am a homeowner in Brooklyn and got a mailing from the gas company about buying a new boiler from them. Since I am considering making the change from oil to gas it caught my interest (usually just throw these things out). What do you local professionals feel about this? Do they use subcontractors to install or do it themselves? Are the same rebates available if I use and independent contractor?
Just wondering and thanks.

Comments

• Hank_5
    Hank_5 Member Posts: 16

Before you sign on the dotted line check out the system efficiency of the boiler they want to sell you. Remember that they make their profit from selling gas, not from selling efficiency. If you do decide to go with gas pay the extra for a high efficiency system. The money spent now will come back to you in just a few years.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    I prefer natural gas to oil.

Joe, they use subcontractors for installations. I used to be one of them. Contractors pay to get on the rotating list of "recommended" installers by area and they give homeowners a couple of names when they inquire.

My experience is that, rarely ever being the low bidder, I wasn't getting the work.

Getting referrals by friends and neighbors has always worked out better for me.
    I can sell quality rather than price to people who've seen my work.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    gas co. install?

do you have steam or hot water?

this is one situation where a sample installation contract would be useful, if not downright necessary, especially if you have steam! keywords in the contract:....manufacturers specifications,....iron pipe,....dry steam,....vaporstat,....gravity return,.....etc.--nbc
  • joe lambert_2
    I have hot water

Very old cast iron boiler. I left the original even during a complete renovation 15 years ago. I think it dates to the 60's. I have those really big ornate cast iron radiators. This is an old brownstone that used to be heated room by room with (I think) old coal heaters that were inserted in the fireplace - because the fireplace is way too shallow to burn anything. Then they put in central heat, and I think it was originally hot water cause these radiators are way too big for steam. I know it was retrofit because of the holes in the floors and ceilings for the pipes.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    old boiler

maybe it's even gravity hot water. if so do a search on here using the search button above for "gravity", and you will see that a skilled pro is still needed. are your fuel bills high? perhaps a switch to a gas burner would be the least you could do, although not as efficient as a new mod-con boiler.

there is a current episode on "this old house" i see from here showing what your possible experience could be with this--nbc
  • joe lambert_2
    I got a pump

There is a nice armstrong circulator. Although I have no outdoor reset or even a vent damper.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Be aware that replacing the old unit will probably save you a good deal of money on your heating bills, whether you go with a high efficiency oil or gas unit. Either way, make sure a pro with a history of doing good work puts it in. Saving money on the installation is short sighted. Install with an eye to the long term.
  • s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    Nationalgrid

Joe,
    Most licensed plumbing/heating firms here in Brooklyn have a relationship with Nationalgrid and can arrange for the same rebates. You're under no obligation to use their affiliates.
    The h/w boiler models they offer are not in the highest efficient catergory, however on occasion, they've allowed for a purchase upgrade. There's some great stuff out there now - you might want to consider.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    If you stay with oil

you'll also still have a choice of suppliers. With gas, National Greed is pretty much it, though there may be some token competitors that are always going out of business.

Some boilers, like the Solaia and others, are certified by their manufacturers with both oil and gas burners. This means you can switch fuels without buying a new boiler, and these boilers are also a bit more efficient than the usual atmospheric gas unit which is undoubtedly what the utility is pushing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.