Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Solder

Hvacman
Hvacman Member Posts: 159
How about Vic? Faster than solder, none of the resistance like Pro Press... Braze your WSHP nipples. Must be a large job with 4" risers...

Side question: Who's heat pumps are you installing? Right now I have a job with 900 Tranes, 015 to 048 size and one with Climate Master and FHP totalling about 150 units... thank goodness the Tranes have few issues or I'd be losing sleep at night!

Comments

• john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Solder

Having problems on the job. We are being given watersafe and 50/50 to solder joints on pipes upto 4". The job is heat pumps with copper risers. My bone of contention is guys are having a hard time capping the joints after using the watersafe and I feel we should be using 95/5 instead then the 50/50 because the watersafe has silver in it causing the inability to cap and just spit out. I've emailed tech support at all the solder co.s today and am awaiting a responce from them. Any ideas or comments?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Brazing

I'd be brazing with silver solder for a 4" joint, if I had to use solder. You may want to consider ProPress fittings, which can be pressed in seconds, without worrying about a leak.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • heat pumps with copper risers?

would you explain that?
  • Pro press issues.

Paul,
    He has some issues with the Pro-Press based on the "Pipe sweating techniques" post. Oh well. :-)
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367

the risers are actually actually attached to the back of these stand up units with 1/2" stubs brazed in them for a supply and return to the chasis's inside the heat pump.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    Bridgit

is a solder for capping lose fittings. large diameter copper with a wide temperature swing may be better with Blockade or some silfos. JW Harris.com website has great info on what solders work best for various sizes and applications.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    now soldering is becoming a lost art

is everyone having problems or just a select few ? not everyone can solder properly no matter what you give them to do the job. if piping is fit up properly a competent mechanic should be able to solder a joint with any type solder you give him. an approved joint should not have to be capped. ever. if you gotta cap it ....use epoxy. that means you don't know how to solder. imagine if they had to wipe or lead " burn ". guess propress is all they are capable of. it takes desire. that said ,some product might be more adaptable for a certain type job than another but you should be able to figure that out in like twenty minutes.
This discussion has been closed.