Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Interesting piece of Denver history

ken wickre_9
ken wickre_9 Member Posts: 12
Hey Dave - Have you seen the tavern in the Hotel St. Niclolas in Cripple Creek, CO? Check out the link below. Having collected several American Radiator catalogs, vintage magazine ads, and one vintage poster myself, it is imperative that I have a brew or two in that hotel tavern. Maybe if Wetstock is held in Denver again next year as once suggested, it will afford an opportunity to do so.

http://www.hotelstnicholas.com/hsnwebhsnartifacts.html

Comments

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

In looking through my 100 year old Ideal Fitter books, I noticed the address for the American Radiator branch here in Denver. So I took a drive to lodo and behold, there it still is.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    ANY ROUND RADIATORS IN STOCK

ASK THEM IF THEY CAN GET ONE OF THOSE ROUND RADIATORS !!
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I wonder what type of heat it had...likely forced air...

Glad to see you here, Dave! How's your weather? Warm here... Got your season tickets yet for the Rockies?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

how bout a pot belly stove or fireplace
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573

Hey Dave that is very cool! Are they still manufacturing or still in business? or is this now a apartment/Office?
  • Dave Stroman

What I meant to say is the building is still there. It is being used by someone else now. But the building was spared by a massive urban renewal project years ago when someone came to their senses and relized that all these historic buildings could not be simply torn down in the name of progress.

Most of the radiators we find in homes here are from American Radiator and I can imagine home owners in the day stopped by this building and picked out the radiators for their homes.

Dave Stroman

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Looks like that

was a hot-water boiler. There's no steam chest, and you can see a thermometer to the left of the big opening with the plug in it.

Wonder if the radiators are still there?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave Stroman

I get to Cripple Creek pretty often. I will check out that bar and boiler and post a photo here.

I was up there looking a a possible job the other day. It is a big historic building that the Elks use for their lodge. It was one of the first stock exchange buildings in CO. Anyway, it had a steam system that someone, in their infinite wisdom, disabled and put in a twice over sized copper boiler and fan coils everywhere. Wired up to be a hot boiler, constant circulation. Thermostats control just the fans. Gag! Many of the radiators are still sitting in there original places. They want me to give them a price to get the thing working better. Where to start......?

Dave Stroman

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Start

by putting the steam back in service. Then use the fan coils with chilled water for A/C.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    old bldg.

Dave check out the gravity HW system in the Grant Humphries mansion I worked on that system back in the mid 1980's I worked for a now defunct Midwest Mechanical Systems at the time. We converted old coal burners into natural gas. I think tours are available.

This discussion has been closed.