Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ISH Update

Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
I am getting excited and know that the six others from Colorado that are flying Lufthansa out of DIA on Monday are too!

I will be attending it for Tu/We/Th/Fr not Saturday as it will most likely be very crowded!
I will be visiting with some manufactures like Sotin/ Mannesmann/Broetche/Wilo/Viessmann and i am curious to see which American company's are showing off as well!

Monday we are invited to go to Viessmann Werke!
We are staying in Usingen which is not far from Bad Homburg

Dan can we post Pix of this event and do we have to edit which ones? We will keep it Tasteful/or try not to "Offend" anyone, but you know that the Germans are not "Prude" and years ago the ladies were looking very good.

Maybe we shall meet somewhere at the Messe!
Paul and Homedepot are going to be somewhere ?
I'd like to meet the East Coaster Wallies as well! you know i used to live in Closter NJ!

As for the Meeting Places (at the American Flag?) or is there a Hot spot/Meeting place? then we can have some Licher bier or do you like Binding bier or Apfelwein better?

Richard :-)

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    If you have a chance

walk through the fireplace and wood stove halls and take some pictures for me.

I saw some wild parlor stove/ boilers in there last time. Small homes would do fine with a small stove/ boiler as a heat source. Cooking too.

I should have allowed more time for those halls. Plenty warm in there as many are operating.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Derheatmeister

I will do that! i guess that between the seven of us and the 32 Easterners we will have lots of Pix and information to share!

Wanna see Caleffi's Stand too!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Hide your camera....

They don't allow people to carry cameras around the fair. Even Dave Yates, who was wearing a Press pass was harassed by some official types.

See what's new with hydrogen fuel cells if you can.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Derheatmeister

Still like that?
  • Derheatmeister

Still like that?
  • Nip & tuck - duck & run!

I had a presse pass & as per ISH instructions, I asked first. The faucet mfgr wanted to know why & I explained my interest as a reporter for CM & had a copy with me to verify I wrote for the mag. Once he understood the deal, he was most cooperative and helped stage the shots. Two huge NFL-type goons, who spoke no English, or at least pretended they did not, arrived and stepped between me and the shot. One pointed to my Nikon digital camera and basically grunted. It was clear via body language & his grunt, they wanted my camera. That's what they do - they take away your camera & you don't get it back.

So, thinking this was an easy go, I flashed my get-out-of-jail-free Presse Pass official ISH badge. No dice. The grunts grew louder, took on a very nasty tone, and they began crowding in closer for a grab at the camera.

Fortunately, for me, the booth owner stepped up behind the guards and began berating them loudly in German. They turned to argue and their collective voices rose to a near-shout! They weren't giving up and he was not backing down.

With both their backs to me - I took that opportunity to exit stage left - in one dag-gonned hurry(G). I was stopped and questioned on multiple occasions, but the presse pass was all I needed.

At one of the solar booths, they were doing an Ozzie & Harriet type skit to show how easy the components fit together and, for the house frau, that the install wasn't going to create a mess for her to clean up. I stopped to take a pic & that got the attention of the actor playing the part of the installer. He immediately pulled me onto the floor and into the skit. It took him all of a nano-second to realize I was Amerkanish, ya? & that led to several comments (in German) that brought forth lots of laughter. No idea what he said, but I went along with the skit and he went out of his way to signal via body language what I was to do. We had a blast hamming it up & the gathered crowd - judging by their laughter - got a kick out of our sort-of Laurel & Hardy humor. Afterwards, the gal in charge, who spoke English, was gracious enough to spend time with me and go over the products.

So, ask first before taking a pic and watch out for the guards!

If you see any small BTU wall recessed gas fireplaces in that halle (And HR is right - it's worth the time to go), I'd appreciate having a link to access their info.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,832
    ask first

is the best way to get pictures. The JennAir goon squad at the homebuilders show had Max erase pictures of their booth from his camera. Even with a press pass and permission! So the message doesn't always get to all the booth personal. Have the person that gives you permission stand along side while you shot.

If you can score an exhibitors badge and get in an hour early, that's your best chance of getting shots and permission from the booth owner.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Post whatever photos you want to post

but as the guys say, watch you don't lose your camera. Those people are serious about picture-taking. Dave's giving you very good advice. I've had similar experiences, even with the press pass. This is my tenth ISH. It's never been easy taking photos. They get right up in your face, and in lots of languages.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Shut your flash off...

The insides of those halls are well lit, and why attract attention like a lighting rod?

Wish I was going.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.